Wisconsin, Michigan camping?

Regional discussions and Get Together organization for the Great Lakes area.

Moderator: volvite

Captain
Sponsored Member

Wisconsin, Michigan camping?

Postby Captain » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 am

I'm looking for info about camping in N. Wisconsin area maybe S.W. Michigan.(not UP) I would like to have it near the big lake so I can go hiking on the beach or a nice size lake to go fishing. Any thoughts?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Bump. Anyone?

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:23 am

i usually camp in illinois, so i wont be of much help picking / recommending a site. are you looking for a state park type of campgroud, or more of a private campground. the DNR page will have state parks mapped out, and will identify which ones have campgrounds.

hope you can find something to suit your needs.

~mike

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 am

I've been camping at most of the Ill sites around I80.

.I was look for suggestion of campgrounds that you have stayed at and had a great time. I like back to go nature as possible with heavy woods between sites. One thing that would be nice is a bathroom and shower for the wife. I'm just wanting to expand my camping to other states.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 am

I'll ask around here at work. There seems to be quite a crowd of cheeseheads around here at times. I'll kkep you guys posted.

Joel

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 am

Sorry, been kinda of busy. I'll post any info shortly.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks, I've been looking at N.W Illinois near Rockford area as well.

Gonzo, Were in Chicago Land are you? Im in New Lenox

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:43 am

Captain caveman wrote:Thanks, I've been looking at N.W Illinois near Rockford area as well.

check out Apple River Canyon. went camping there last year. rained like hell the weekend i was there :cry: . otherwise, its a nice place.

i used to go to Lowden State Park, but Blago shut the gates. :roll:

~mike

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks, I really like the Apple river. I will make a trip out there soon. My wife is a photographer and will love the park. Thanks.

Side note: How do you guys like having a Great Lakes Forum? So we can discuss this type of topics.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:47 am

Captain caveman wrote:Thanks, I really like the Apple river. I will make a trip out there soon. My wife is a photographer and will love the park. Thanks.
Side note: How do you guys like having a Great Lakes Forum? So we can discuss this type of topics.
ive been going to the apple river area since i was a kid. my grandparents have undeveloped land out there. so we would always go out there with the entire family, pretty much every year. we would stay in the condos, or rent a house. last year, my buddies and i went out there for our moron camping weekend (moron camping: last weekend in april, lots to drink, good food, general stupidity, etc). the campground was less secluded than we prefer, but it was decent.

Side note: i like the regional forums. nice to get info for your specific area.

side note 2: what gear does your wife shoot? is she a pro or amateur? what subject matter? i finally bought a dslr this year. im definitely an amateur, but trying to get better. :)

~mike

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 pm

might be kind of a haul, but door county (WI) has some good stuff. i have camped at peninsula state park before (good stuff) and have spent some time up on washington island. if you want a treat, spend some time up on rock island, but be aware, the pathy can't go with you (no wheeled vehicles) :(

you have to take a car ferry to get to washington and then another boat to rock island...very worth it.

aside from those, i always just stayed at friends places up near Rhinelander or in the Oconomowoc area (so sure about camping around there, but plenty of fishing)

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:57 pm

MonkeyMike wrote:
side note 2: what gear does your wife shoot? is she a pro or amateur? what subject matter? i finally bought a dslr this year. im definitely an amateur, but trying to get better. :)

~mike
Thanks, I like really sites that are well spaced with lots of trees. One good Spot is Lake Shabbona but looking for something new.

As to my wife. I bought her a Nikon D60 with a 18-55 lens with a very nice Tri-pod. Shes been shooting for 2 years now and she completely kicks ass at it. She just picked it up like she was born with a camera. She likes taking pics of land scape's, babies, night ( stars)

http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 9597nu0mrj

http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 3A63nu0mrj

http://images2c.snapfish.com/232323232% ... 8%3Cnu0mrj

Side note- Im glad you like this new forum. I asked for it and was given a very large responsibility with it. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 am

Captain caveman wrote:Thanks, I've been looking at N.W Illinois near Rockford area as well.

Sorry Capt. I forgot about this portion of the forums. I'm in the Aurora area. It seems that not alot of these guys do the camping thing around here. Not much help from here.

Gonzo

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed May 13, 2009 7:02 am

Well Guys I'm heading out to the woods today when the wife get off work. I'm going to Lake shabbona is off RT30 and I39.

After this trip I am looking to go near Two Rivers Wis. I have a friend that has some land

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu May 21, 2009 6:04 am

Hello guy, Took a couple of days to get back on here. Camping was a blast, the weather was a little cold but the rain was the killer. On Thurs. we set up camp and had a great dinner of hot dogs and hamburgers. Latter that night it started to rain and did not stop till 5pm Fri.

The entire time we did not have tarps over the tents but after some talking we decided to put them on for Fri night. Right after we put the tarps on it stopped raining. :lol: Sat morning it was nice and sunny but the wind was freezing. After making a fire to keep warm I wanted to go fishing. What was nice is that we were right on the river bank so I didn't have to go far. Cought some nice Chanel Cats from 15-27"long to 6-15lbs. I was going to keep them for dinner but the wife's said no way so I put them back. On Sunday packed up after some more fishing and came home to sleep.

Got pics but not sure if there up yet from the wife's camera.

Return to “Great Lakes Region”