Is 3M clear protective film any good?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

Is 3M clear protective film any good?

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 pm

After dealing with the inevitable nicks and rock chips on the business end of at least 50 different cars in my life, I decided that my new '06 LE ain't gonna live like that.

Several Flea-Bayers sell 8-mil clear protective film kits for just south of $200. The kits have custom-cut pieces for the hood, bumper, fenders and mirrors. Apparently they're applied just like window tint film, and they have a 5 year 3M warranty (for what that's worth).

Anybody have experience with, or opinions on, this stuff?

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

i have it on my 350, i also had it on my EVO (RIP, bad rally incident) and it is really awesome. When i got it on my EVO, it was much more, like 600. It is really thick stuff, so you might want some assistance from a person whos good at vinyl work, since you have to heat it, lay it, etc. Also the only downside is the look of it, on the car, it tends to look like a really crappy paint job, and by that i just mean it adds a really heavy orange peel look to the portion of the paint its on, but for protection its awesome.

rodg

Postby rodg » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 am

my opinion is to have it installed professionally but it will be expensive. If you have no experience installing this clear film don't do it.....it will also be a waste of money and time on your part. I was quoted $1500 on my MB E350 just for the front end and side mirrors.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:04 am

Hmmm . . . I may have to re-think this idea.

marked001

Postby marked001 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:29 am

the thing I dont like about it is the line you get across the hood..no matter how clean you keep the truck, the line is inevitable :-/

i saw once where someone had his entire porsche cgt clear-bra'd.. i think you should go that route to avoid the line ;)

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:49 am

Anybody do the windshield protector film? I.E., clear tint on the outside of the windshield to protect against rocks and low flying chickens? Thanks to CalTrans I've already busted one windshield... :(

mprtklr

Postby mprtklr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 am

RacerZX wrote:Anybody do the windshield protector film? I.E., clear tint on the outside of the windshield to protect against rocks and low flying chickens? Thanks to CalTrans I've already busted one windshield... :(
ive heard of this, but my concern would be longevity. I know here in california, windsheild wipers are more of a "cosmetic thing" than a functional thing :D but i could be concerned of longevity of rubbing the wipers across it, water doesnt exactly wipe of plastic too well, i would think it would streak fairly heavily on plastic, plus the noise and shuddering of rubbing rubber onto plastic...

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Here is KY it is state law that car insurance has to replace broken or cracked windshields , 100% covered regardless of what type of ins you have, w/o raising your risk rate.

I got a chip in my on my last car, my insurance set some local guys out and they put in a new one in the parking lot at my office in like 30 min. Didn't cost me a dime.

I take it that other states don't do this? ???

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:18 pm

amr40509 wrote:I take it that other states don't do this? ???
Correct. Texas is one of those.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”