Excessive fuel consumption, "ticking" idle

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

repete

Excessive fuel consumption, "ticking" idle

Postby repete » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi All,
My '94 Pathfinder SE has developed a new issue that is driving me nuts. It consumes 30% more fuel than normal, and at idle the RPM's "tick" lower by 200RPM quickly and then recover. Acceleration and power are relatively normal and the only time I notice it is at idle both in gear and neutral.
I have R2'ed the O2 sensor, plugs cap and rotor, plug wires are not too old, and fuel fliter. I am leaning towards the fuel injectors or fuel pump, but I want to be sure.
Anyone have some ideas?
Cheers...

keyk240

Mine to

Postby keyk240 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:42 pm

I just bought my 95 and it does the same thing. Notice it alot more when it is cold out. after it gets to about 3 grand rpm's the tick stops.
at first i thought it was a spark tick. but i changed all plugs and wires and it still does it

repete

idle tick

Postby repete » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:34 am

hey, Ive solved the problem: I gave up and took it to the mechanic and they purged the fuel lines from the filter to the injectors. They also found that my #1 plug wire had an open circuit so he R2'ed those and the problem went away. He also ran some other diagnostics and in the end it cost me about $450 but well worth it to me. She runs like a champ and I cant wait to go run some trails this spring.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”