05 transmission problems /aftermarket transmission cooler.

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

lunker

05 transmission problems /aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby lunker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi everyone, new to the forum.... I have an 05 pathy that i absolutley love. The problem is i was having some concerns with the tranny. On a cold start, the tranny would enter well into reverse, but when i put it in drive, you could feel the tranny kick in, and then about 1 second later, you could feel another lurch like it went into gear again. After several times at the shop with the "can't replicate" go away attitude, I took the head mechanic into my vehicle and did it for him. Long story short, not sure what's wrong, but replacing the tranny under warranty.

Now my question....I understand a number of 05-08 pathy's have had to replace trannys as the radiator leaks into the tranny cooler and wrecks it all.

Mine is still fine as my fluid is not contaminated, but I'm considering installing an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypassing the stock one entirely to avoid any possible contamination. I live in Alberta, Canada which can get some really COLD winters. Dealership recommended i NOT install one as the winters are too cold and would not allow the ATF to flow properly. They suggested changing coolant every 50,000kms so that it doesn't eat away at the stock cooler in the radiator

Anyone install an aftermarket??? Anyone know what I'm talking about???

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

I can't say I've read or heard anything about the coolant leakage. But in response to the original issue the trans seems to have a decent lag in general when going into Drive. A couple of people have asked about it and I experience the same behavior since new even when really warm out. I've adjusted my driving style to place the selector in gear and wait for positive engagement. I could see how one could put excessive wear on internals by putting it in gear and then stepping on the gas. The engine would rev a few hundred then bang into gear a lot like a neutral drop. Not so great and would probably make the engagement lag even worse over time.

With the new tranny the only recommendations I can make would be to wait for it to fully engage in D before trying to accelerate, change the tranny fluid more often to keep it fresher, maybe install some sort of heater since you are up north to keep the fluid thinner in the winter and even look into replacement non-oem fluid. I'm a big proponent of factory fluids but if you've got a problem to fix.....

If you go with an aftermarket tranny cooler the concerns about over-cooling are legit and would cause sluggish shifts and potentially not lubricate as well because of the thick fluid. But you could block off airflow over that area like the diesel buses and Rigs do with some sort of cover in an effort to retain the necessary heat.

lunker

Update....

Postby lunker » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks for the reply Blink,

I guess they only replaced the control valve assembly as the rest of the tranny showed very little signs of wear considering it has 94000km (60miles).

Let me clarify my first post, i have never done the "neutral drop" you mentioned. I would simply put the truck into gear from neutral with out putting my foot on the brake or gas. I felt the first "kick" and then after about 2 seconds, the second "kick". Almost felt like a hiccup. The head mechanic tried accelerating after the first kick and it was in gear, as it would take off...

Anyways, stopped at a transmission shop and they told me that the new coolers have a bypass system built in to avoid cooling the already jello like tranny fluid in winter. Once the ATF warms up it flows through the tranny cooler. He suggested i cover it in the winter when i don't need it.

I think i'll do a little more research before leaping into one.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Gotcha. Well, good luck. Post back with any findings/personal experience if you get the aftermarket cooler installed!

Return to “General Automotive”