NJ Lift Laws (e.g., Chassis Elevation Laws)

General off-roading discussions...what's in your trail kit?

Moderators: volvite, cruzstyle

markspath

Postby markspath » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Has anyone had to deal with NJ Chassis Elevation Laws (N.J.A.C. 13:20-37)?

Specifically, how do you find an authorized inspection/testing service, how difficult is it to pass the inspection/test, how much does the inspection cost, and how long is the approval certificate good for?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 am

For the Pathy?

At any rate finding a testing center is as easy as going to the NJMVC website. Most of the sites that offer big rig inspections or the "other" services are fully equipped to do chassis height inspections. Down here it's Cherry Hill.

The tests are only hard to pass when the rules of safety are skirted or ignored. Legitimate lift kits will always pass provided it's not a kit with 9" lift blocks :-/.

Price is free for State run inspection. Otherwise it's up to local shops that you go to. Certs are only good as long as the inspection is. So that's either 2 or 4 years yea?

You planning on putting 9+ inches of lift on the pathy? :)

markspath

Postby markspath » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:05 pm

blink32 wrote:You planning on putting 9+ inches of lift on the pathy? :)
:twisted: I wish! :twisted:

But let's say I went with the Rancho QuickLift setup for shocks, which is supposed to add 2" lift, with OME heavy duty springs (and Total Chaos or Calmini upper control arms). The Rancho setup is designed to accommodate 33" tires (285/70x16) versus the stock 30" tires. So that's at least 3.5" of lift (suspension + tires), possibly a little more using the OME springs.

The NJ statute comes into effect if your lift exceeds 4" of factory height.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:01 pm

MARKSPATH wrote:The NJ statute comes into effect if your lift exceeds 4" of factory height.
I see that part now. To be honest, I wouldn't even worry about it. The OME is a very mild lift. At worst you'd just have to claim the increased tire size as the height difference (wouldn't mention suspension at all) and since that's specifically excluded as it is under 4" you would be fine.

The way I read this law to keep stupid from hurting stupid. You know the guys, 78 full size chevy, stacked frames, 44" mud hawgs, 8" blocks all around, swaying in the faintest breeze with scary ass cross over steering from hell. :)

I don't know anyone with lifts and tires that are mild like ours that has been given any grief.

johnlee

Postby johnlee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:20 am

This was an action involving a tractor that had picked up a chassis and container in New York state that struck an SUV stopped in traffic on Route 17 South on the Friday of Memorial Day.

Return to “4x4 Tech”