Wire harness question.

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

DarkSupra2.5

Wire harness question.

Postby DarkSupra2.5 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm

I have a 87 pathy, with the vg30i which probably has 6 months left in it. My question is, since the newer path's came with the vg30e, how much of the harness do i have to change over to complete the swap? I'd rather have the vg33, and I got a tip that i could use the vg30e harness with that engine, but i need to know how much of the harness i need to get first. Any help would be appreciated.

I normally wouldn't ask, but every path i've found so far in junkyards here are torn apart or the wrong year, so i can't tear one apart and figure it out myself. Thanks for the help, hopefully i can get some good insights before my motor dies out. See ya!

Scaramoche

motor swap

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 am

First, you would have to have the ecu from the doner truck. You have(like myself) the vg30i, which has a throttlebody injector. If I remember correctly the one your looking at does not(not sure if intake manifold is swapable). In a nuttshell you would need the motor, wiring harness, and ecu, and I would not be surprised if there were some odd's and ends as well.

I looked at doing a swap myself, but in the end i just pulled my motor, had it machined(it's now a 3.3 because of boring), and rebuild it. I had the heads rebuilt by a shop, cost 250 or so, and did the rest on my own.

The reason i would say rebuild over swap is simple, you will still want to rebuild the doner motor.

DarkSupra2.5

Postby DarkSupra2.5 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:45 pm

That is a good point, i will end up rebuilding whichever engine i put into the truck next. the problem i have is that i want a significant power increase over the engine i have now. Which, since I'm in california, I have to remain emissions compliant. boring or stroking out my engine, would probably get me in trouble with the amount of power i want. still doing a lot of research at the moment, but I'm going for a rumor that the vq45 engine out of the newer pathfinders will still bolt up to the 87-95 transmissions. If so, that'll probably be my engine choice. If not, the vg33. ugh, why did i fall in love with this truck? haha.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”