New pathfinder, new questions

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Xunal

New pathfinder, new questions

Postby Xunal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 am

Hello all-

Picked up my first Pathfinder yesterday, a green 1995 SEV6 with 112K miles.

Got a few questions about my new toy!

First:
I bought it from an impound yard, and it was left with some rather unpleasant stains in the carpet from various food stuffs that sat for 4+ months.

How would one go about cleaning that up? Want to get rid of the smell and stains, if possible?

Second:
I don't know why, but all of the tires on the truck are different. They are the same size, but different brands (although the front two appear to be the same).

Is this bad? Going to cause poor handling, etc?

Third:
Speaking of tires, the size of them are 31x10.5x15. To be honest, I don't know much about tires at all, but this is what I read off of the tire. When I turn sharply to the right, the left front tire rubs against the plastic fender cover thing.

I can't really see a solution other than getting a smaller tire...is there anything I can do besides that? The noise the tire makes when rubbing are HORRIBLE and I've already gotten some funny looks.

Fourth:
Since I am buying it from a tow lot, information about the car's history is remarkably limited. Because of that, I'm planning on doing a lot of preventative work immediately in case it wasn't done before.

What should be changed? So far I've just got the basics..
Oil
Coolant
Battery maintenance
Tire rotation
Spark plugs

In the little bit of research I've done, it seems the timing chain needs to be replaced every 60K miles. Is there a way I can check to see if this is done, or it needs to be done?
What else am I missing from my list that should be checked/replaced?

Fifth:
She's pretty dinged up from what looks like a hard life. Dents in the door, the drivers side door doesn't shut correctly, one fog light missing, some plastic pieces missing here and there...

Are these cars popular enough I will be able to find replacement parts at a junkyard, or similar? Or will I have to order them new from Nissan?

Thanks for the answers. Haven't gotten to play around with the Pathfinder too much yet, but what I have it seems like an awesome truck.

Scaramoche

Pathfinder

Postby Scaramoche » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Well I just finished doing the interior, paint and rebuilt the motor on my 89 pathy, so Ill give you my 2cents.

Carpet....In all honosty I would probably just recarpet. You can either by the carpet kit online(i think they run around 200) or do what i did, and hit homedepot, grab some carpet(i got grey, ran about 50 or so) and recarpet yourself. When you pull out the old carpet try to do it in 1 piece, then use it for a patern for new carpet, make sure you add at least a couple inches all the way around though, it's easy to trim, but impossible to uncut carpet.

Tires- yes the tread will be different on all the tires, you need to get a matched set, if money is an issue try the used tire places(get new though)
I have 31' tires on my pathy, and they will rub, i cut a little of the plastic fenders to minimize, but those tires are a little big for pathy unless you have a body, or suspension lift(200-1k for lifts)

preventative maintances, well like yours i picked mine up for $600, and no sooner than driving it home did the engine go. Now hopefully you wont have to deal with this, though im greatful it did happen, cause now my pathy is AWESOME. I would also do the timing belt(can be a pain, and tricky to do and Assume it need to be replaced, they are cheap, but if it goes it will destroy your motor), as well as the distributor cap. Other than those, the only other thing you can do is slowely start replacing items, like starters, alternators because if they are the originall equipment, they are comming to there end of life.

Body parts.
We have a alot of junk yards here in albuquerque, specifically a U-pullit yard that is dirt cheap. I have never had any problems getting parts for mine. I have replaced the whole front end, suspensioon, hatchback, and tons of odd's and ends, that whole time spending maybe 600. I would call your local yards and find out what they have.

best regards
Scara

Xunal

Postby Xunal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:24 am

Thanks for the reply--

I have had a bit of time to play with it now, and overall I'm still happy with it....BUT....

I took it to get a front end alignment, and they were kind enough to inform me my front axles need to be replaced, as well as my lower ball joints.

The CV boots are ripped (since then I have raised it and verified they are) and need to go! They quoted me 800 for labor, parts, and misc.

A co worker of mine told me he would help me install it if I could manage to find the parts.

Other than that it's mostly good...there are a few more things that don't work:
Fog lights (they aren't burnt out, had them working for a bit....electrical?)
Driver's side seat warmer (passanger works OK...)
Alarm light blinking constantly
Weather stripping on door partially missing

Other than that it's all stuff I can repair myself, or too little to notice.

Scaramoche

nickle and dimes

Postby Scaramoche » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Well depending on what your free time is, and if your pathy is your main vehical, I would do the work yourself. Granted the suspension can be a beast.

As for all the odd's and ends, I would seriously find a upull junkyard, or any junkyard that allows you in the yard, have a list of all the parts you need, then go shopping. all the trims, moldings(you can get this also at a pepboys or such) replace bad lights, etc. I swear by these places after seeing what many of these little parts would cost new, or refurbished.

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:26 am

Junkyards are *great* places to find parts. Be warned, though: some of them are a ripoff.

For example, at a junkyard near where my parents live: $125 for a grill for a Chevy S-10 ($65 new from the dealership). $3000 for a Ford 300c.i. inline 6 engine ($2500 re-manufactured from a parts store). And the owner at this junkyard refuses to budge on his prices. When he was told about the grills, he wouldn't believe it and said he'd buy every grill the dealership had if that price was accurate. He changed his mind when the guy working the parts counter at the dealership told him they had over 100 grills in stock at that price, but still refused to change the price he charged.

Scaramoche

jy ripoffs

Postby Scaramoche » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:00 am

yup i have to agree, many of the jy around my home do the same. ie if you pull a 80-90's part it's alot cheaper than a 2k part, with one exception.

the U-Pull-It yard is one of the largest we have in abq, and regardless of what year, all the parts are the same.

for example, they charge 300.00usd for an engine. me, my brother and a friend, went looking for one for our friends homebuilt sandrail. we were looking for 350's etc. then we seen a 07 corvette that was getting ready to be towed onto lot. Guess what we pulled heheh, and only cost 300.00 for a 4k engine.

velvetsanity

Postby velvetsanity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:18 am

I'm not sure why, but U-Pull-It and similar places (Pick 'n Pull, Wrench-A-Part, etc) always have the best prices. :D

bigred07

Postby bigred07 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 pm

i have 31's and they don't have any problems rubbing. crank your torsion bars up a bit, (lift the front so the the front tires are off the ground, get a wrench and turn the bolts clockwise, very easy), then when you get the suspension worked on and the alignment tell them not to mess with the torsion bars. then there are other bar things that go from the frame down the lower control arm, the part where they atach to the frame have a tendancy to start grinding away and will casue squeeking and such so you may want to check that out, (i can get a picture of what im talking about if you need). i would also change all the transmision fluids if you don't have documentation as to when they were changed last. the cv axles also shouldn't be to hard as long as you have some down time for the vehicle incase you run into any problems (stuck bolts and such).

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”