Cable Run

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

PathyJoy

Cable Run

Postby PathyJoy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Anybody run a video cable from headunit to the rear license plate area? What's the easiest route? I'm lookig to hook up a reverse camera and wanted to find the easiest way to route the cable without tearing up the interior.
Also, any tricks to replacing the non-bose headunit?
'07 SE

xcrunner731

re: head unit replacement

Postby xcrunner731 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:00 pm

What are you looking to do as far as stereo (head unit) replacement? I replaced the stock non-bose stereo myself with a standard CD player, but then upgraded to a DVD/video monitor and had that professionally installed. Doing it yourself is easy if you have ever replaced a stereo before.

PathyJoy

Postby PathyJoy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Replacing it with a Kenwood DNX9140

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

PathyJoy wrote:Replacing it with a Kenwood DNX9140
You should have no problems with installing the Kenwood. Just take the dash apart, remove OEM headunit and brackets. Install brackets on Kenwood, Install wire-harness, ground "certain" wire for DVD bypass (illegal),,or attach to E-brake per instruction manual. mount headunit into factory location. Snap trim ring on that came with the headunit, re-assemble dash and your done....
You can purchase the Metra dashkit,,but the only piece you will use is the Double-Din trim which attaches to the bezel. Your headunit will come with a trim ring as well.

PathyJoy

Postby PathyJoy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:01 am

I saw one of the posts with pics that documented the removal & replacement. You're right shoudl be straight forward. Have to look into the DVD bypass a little more, want to make sure I gound the correct wire.

What about running a cable to the back hatch (lic plate area). Are there any channels/conduits that run under the carpet? Also what about getting out to the hatch? I guess somewhere around the hinge is the easiest spot.

lsmith9523

Postby lsmith9523 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 am

PathyJoy wrote:I saw one of the posts with pics that documented the removal & replacement. You're right shoudl be straight forward. Have to look into the DVD bypass a little more, want to make sure I gound the correct wire.

What about running a cable to the back hatch (lic plate area). Are there any channels/conduits that run under the carpet? Also what about getting out to the hatch? I guess somewhere around the hinge is the easiest spot.
PathyJoy,

I cannot help you with the Rear Cam hook up. I have yet to take my Pathy apart. I have only installed the headunit. I am sure, once you get the rear apart, you will see a route that will work for the rear cam.

If you move forward with the rear cam project, post photos. I am interested in adding a rear cam as well, but will be down the road before having the time for the install. Good Luck, keep us posted.

PS Kenwood DNX9140,,very nice headunit..props

tariqhu9

I'm curious about this too.

Postby tariqhu9 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:31 pm

I just bought a camera and would like to put it in myself. Already installed the new radio, but I'm reluctant to pull up the panels to wire the cam.

Any suggestions?

thePPL

Postby thePPL » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

I talked about it a little bit in the thread I started here:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=3391

Basically the wiring took a LONG time.
To get the rear hatch interior panel off, follow these instructions (for an '09 Pathfinder anyways):
  • Open and flip up the glass window.
    Open the hatch.
    Remove the 2 screws under the first aid kit.
    Under the little handle recess, remove the bolt from in there.
    The rest of it is just held in with friction clips. Just give it a few good tugs.
You will notice that there are 2 special wiring grommets to feed wires from the rear hatch to the body of the vehicle. The drivers side one has a lot of wires in it, the passenger side only has 2. You can kind of see how I ran the wiring through on the passenger side of the tailgate:
Note that it was a little tough to fish the wire through the channel beside the window. When you remove gas shock mount, you can get a screwdriver in there to help guide the wiring past any obstructions.

The next step was to run the wire down the rear pillar and into the floor. Basically, you need to remove all of the tie-down clips on the passenger side "luggage panel". I believe there was also 1 or 2 other bolts behind little access panels that had to be removed. Then remove the seat belt mounts as shown in the photo. This should allow you access to run the wire along the floor:

Run it all the way under the passenger side step panels in the front and rear seats. Then run under the front passenger seat (under the carpet of course) and up into the center console.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 am

why not go for a wireless backup camera ?

thePPL

Postby thePPL » Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 am

Wireless would be nice and save quite a bit of work. But to get power, you would still need to tie into the reverse light. That is the hardest part of the cable run.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

theppl wrote:Wireless would be nice and save quite a bit of work. But to get power, you would still need to tie into the reverse light. That is the hardest part of the cable run.
i dont think tapping the rear light wire from the back is harder than running a cable all the way to the front.

ive never taken the pathfinder rear apart, so i may be talking outta my ass here, but how difficult can it be ?

thePPL

Postby thePPL » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Well, it does really suck to get that wire through the little channel beside the window.
But to get access to tap into the rear light, you need to take off that luggage panel (not a lot of fun either). Once you are that far, it is only a 10 minute job to sneak the wire through the carpet and under the plastic step rails.

I suppose that the absolute easiest wiring job would be to use a wireless camera and tap power from one of the licence plate lamps. Only issue is that you would need to have your lights turned on for the camera to work. Not the end of the world, but I could see myself getting sick of having to turn the lights on every time.
Also, the camera would always be powered up and transmitting when you have your lights on during normal driving at night.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Can someone explain how to run the wire from the head unit to the rear? do you just go under the floor carpeting?

thePPL

Postby thePPL » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm

From the head unit, I went down through the center console (past the gear shift), under the console storage compartment and down through the carpet on the passenger side. This puts it right under the front passenger seat. From here, I went straight across to run it under the plastic step rails on the passenger side.

Then, getting it under the "luggage panel" is the major PITA.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:03 am

thePPL, thanks for your pics and info. I just finished this over the weekend, and let me tell you, this was a Bitch and a half. The 06 doesnt have a passanger side wire gromment going into the tailgate, so I had to go through the drivers side one, and that was painful. I still haven't mounted the camera yet, due to the time it took to get the wiring in place. I plan to remove one of the license plate bulb assemblies and run the wire through there and maybe even mount the camera there.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”