Kenwood DDX896 Install in 2005 SE

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Buzz0515

Kenwood DDX896 Install in 2005 SE

Postby Buzz0515 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 pm

I spent this weekend finally getting around to installing my new head unit. I have the factory BOSE stereo, which I still think is one of the best factory stereos out there, but I wanted something with more functionality and customization as well as better audio control.

I wanted a double-DIN touchscreen, but without navigation as I already have the GPS mount. I ended up going with the Kenwood DDX896, due to the built-in bluetooth, high-speed iPod control and high-res display. So far, I LOVE it! It's awesome!

Here it is installed in the truck:

One of the best features about this head unit tailored to this truck, is the fact that it has the feature to reverse-tilt down on top of the normal tilt-up. Since the factory brackets tilt the whole unit towards the drivers face, the tilt counter-acts it. This makes sunlight glare not even close to being a problem:

I ran the cables for the iPod, the USB plug-in, and the AUX input into the secondary glove box, which should help if someone breaks in, cause it's not too noticeable that it's there:

I installed the PAC SWI-JACK to keep the steering wheel controls, and it was well worth the extra installation and the little hassle of programming it to the car & head unit. It works great and makes it much more intuitive to use versus the stock remote that came with the head unit.

I put a 12" JL Audio W3v3 in the back a couple of months ago wired to the factory stereo, but it sounds even better now plugged into the new head unit with proper preamp outputs:

The next job is to rebuild the sub box to something less noticeable and more professional, cause I don't think the bungee cord is the most attractive solution. I also have 4 pairs of JL Audio component speakers from my previous car, that are a perfect fit for the Pathfinder, so those are going in the truck in the next few weeks hopefully.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 pm

I like it. Did you hook up the steering wheel controls?

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:27 am

Yeah, I used the PAC SWI-JACK to retain the factory steering wheel controls. I had read different reviews online saying that it was great for some but didn't work for others. People were reporting that it would give a long delay between pressing the button and the action. But it works great in the Pathfinder. The only thing I would say is that you have to be very deliberate in your button presses. If you just kind of flick the toggle switches, it won't register with the module well. But if you make sure you press the button fully up or down, it registers great.

It adds a decent amount of installation time because you have to run extra wires and you also have to program the module before you tuck it away in the dash. Not to mention, their programming directions are kind of confusing. But take your time and make sure you read through EVERYTHING they send with it and it can be done.

As I mentioned in my first post above though, it was definitely worth the extra installation effort and aggrevation because it keeps the head unit much more intuitive to use and I don't have to really change what I'm used to.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Very nice. I've always wanted to install an after market stereo, but didn't want to lose the steering controls. I like it.

Buzz0515

Postby Buzz0515 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:58 am

I personally would recommend it, simply because it makes listening to music or anything else in the car a better experience.

It also makes everything easier to use once you adjust to the changes. The built-in bluetooth is awesome for hands free and picks up a call in the car almost instantly. It will pause the music while you talk and then once the phone conversation ends, it automatically starts the music where it left off without missing a beat.

If you have the BOSE system, this is the interface I used to install the headunit with: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=e ... 0bee2047fa
It worked great and made the install pretty much plug and play once I spliced the new head-unit's harness to it.

The next thing I'm planning to add to it will be a reverse-view camera. Since the rear window sits kind of high, it makes the view a little difficult. I think though since the license plate is higher than most cars, a license-plate mount camera would be perfect for the Pathfinder. I'm thinking about getting this one: http://www.boyovta.com/products/vtl420c.html

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”