Gettin' new shoes

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

AZRoushStang

Gettin' new shoes

Postby AZRoushStang » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Well after almost 2.5 years and a little over 42,000 miles the BFG Long Trails are done....They are cupped bad, less than 4/32 on 3 tires, and the alignment is out so they are wearing fast....

So a week from tomorrow I have an appt. for an alignment and then in the afternoon I have an appt. at Discount Tire to put a set of Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor 265/70-16. I have heard some good things about these regarding noise, ride, puncture resistance, handling in a weather, and trails (not crawling, but I like the basic/basic+ trails)...

Just thought I would share, I'll give a review after I get them on....

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 am

Nice, I'd like to hear about them too. All the reviews I can find appear to be positive.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:04 pm

I'd encourage you, if possible, switch those appointments around. Better to get the truck aligned with the new tires on it.

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Any reason why? I would think that I would want the new tires on a freshly aligned car...Does it make that much of a difference?

However, it may be too late to change the dealership appt. without having to push it out a week...And I would think a week of driving the new tires on a bad alignment would be bad...

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Yeah, i agree, driving the bad alignment on new tires is worse, but my alignment shop has asked me in the past that if possible, align the car on the new tires.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm

I was reading around recently and if memory serves me, it has something to do (at-least a little bit) with how much give in the sidewalls the new has compared to the old. Probably some other characteristics of the tire also. At any rate it seems reasonable since you align the vehicle with the suspension loaded as opposed to aligning it in the air which should take into account any tire attributes. And in the FSM for the 01 Sentra your instructed to make a mark along the center line of the tire to measure Toe as opposed to using a point on the rim or somewhere else. :?:

Hayn45

Postby Hayn45 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:31 pm

Why wouldn't you align your rig at the same time/place you purchase the tires from? It's usually what I do.

Normally, setting your alignment on old tires and then putting on new ones will constitute you having to realign your truck again prematurely.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 pm

I almost always get my tires from TireRack, usually cheaper, even with shipping.

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:35 pm

So I got the new shoes on Friday, along with the alignment.

The dealer had it for 6 HOURS!!!!! To do a freakin' alignment. But when I looked at the alignment sheet, I realized that the last time I saw that much red on a piece of paper it was my last spelling test :) It was way way out. I didn't get it done at the same place I got tires because Discount Tire does not do alignments and they had the best price on the tires.

Getting them shipped would have cost more after shipping and having to have them installed than Discount did...Got all 4 for 740 out the door including tax, so I'm not complaining too much....

Then Discount originally went and installed the wrong tires...that was fun, and they had to get the tires from another store...So that took 3 times as long as it should have.

So initial reviews are all POSITIVE. First I want to say that these tires are QUIET!!!! and I don't just mean for an All-Terrain tire, but PERIOD!!!!! Handling is great. The extra weight is a little (and I mean very little) noticeable. But all around so far with some city street and highway they are worth the money. Not only that but they look good too, not too over the top, but definitely aggressive enough.

Looking to take them on a trail or two next weekend possibly. So I will update the review after then and a weeks worth of driving :)

Hayn45

Postby Hayn45 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 pm

I demand pictures.................... :wink:

RBOWWOW

Ok, time to report

Postby RBOWWOW » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:22 pm

I'm waiting for a real life review of the silent armors on a pathy - I hear about balance issues (due to tire weight) and mileage reductions (due to increased rolling rsistances).
What are the actual experience you are having.
I'm between Revos or these.

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:37 pm

They have been a great tire. Nice and sturdy. As quiet as the BFG Long Trails that came with the Pathy.

I did notice 1-2 mpg decrease depending on who is driving. Which isn't that bad. I'm still getting around 16-17 in town.

I did have to have them rebalanced once. They had to get tricky and rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees to get it to balance correctly.

Other than that a great tire.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 am

Just put on Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds, P265-70-R16 and I'm absolutely impressed with the handling improvements. Steering response is much quicker and more accurate, body roll is diminished quite a bit. Traction seems great, and they're definitely quieter than the stock BFG Long Trails. Absolutely a winner with the '05 Pathy.

Only downside is the cost, I paid $167 a tire, $917 total installed.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”