Subwoofer placement

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

xcrunner731

Subwoofer placement

Postby xcrunner731 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm

looking to put some subs in the pathy.... but don't wanna eat up a lot of space. Any ideas on where to put them?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 pm

If I wanted to throw in a sub, I would pull out the useless (for me) 3rd row of seats and build an enclosure to house sub(s) with maybe another compartment for tools or whatever.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 am

that's actually what i was thinking about doing, pull out the 3rd row and build a false floor to house the subs. i don't want them seen, and apparently there's no real cargo cover to hide them from would be theves.

for now though i was just going to throw a small box in behind the 3rd row. i'll run power from the battery to an amp that i'll probably put under the passenger seat, and grab the remote turn on from a fuse in the fuse box (i used a rear window one in my old acura, worked great when the car was on). i'll grab the high level signal from the factory bose sub in the back, and run it through a line level converter (again, this is the same setup i had in my previous acura).

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I did exactly what NVS and xcrunner have proposed. I removed my 3rd row seating and installed a false floor to hide a low profile, custom down-firing subwoofer enclosure(JL 10W1 - nothing fancy) and Class D (Alpine MRP M500) amplifier. To be totally honest, I'm a poor interior craftsman so I covered up my work with a full length cargo mat from Husky liners and through-bolted it to my false floor with Thule Top Tracks so I could place tie-downs along them in my cargo area. It looks good on top - looks like garbage underneath. The sound is pretty killer. Unless you're a huge bass junky, you'll be happy with a similar setup. I can post pictures if anyone wants them.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:08 am

IcedTeasley wrote:I did exactly what NVS and xcrunner have proposed. I removed my 3rd row seating and installed a false floor to hide a low profile, custom down-firing subwoofer enclosure(JL 10W1 - nothing fancy) and Class D (Alpine MRP M500) amplifier.

yup, that's exactly what i was thinking. 3/4's mdf for the floor/box?

a few pictures would be awesome! and as long as it looks good on top, that's all that -really- matters, right?

i'm not wanting to shake the neighborhood, i just want a little more on the low end. i have a infinity dvc 12 and an mtx 250 (500w bridged 2ohm) that i took out of my acura tl when i traded it that i was going to use. it added just enough.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Sorry for slow-rolling you man. Life has been kinda crazy lately. I'm off for the weekend and will try to snap some decent photos of my former 3rd row to post for you.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 am

no big deal man! i'm still a good 2-3 months out from doing it anyway. not that it would take me that long to actually do it, just that it would take that long for me to actually sit down and do it!

07Finder

Postby 07Finder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

I bought the finder for the 3rd row seat, so taking it out isnt an option for us, but i still want to install subs.
Anyone ever try installing one in either of the rear quarter panels, where the cargo net/storage area is?

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”