Winter ice /snow tire pressures

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Winter ice /snow tire pressures

Postby Gray » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:49 pm

From the idea that narrower tires with smaller footprint work better during the winter due to greater weight per sq/in of road contact, I've been running max sidewall pressures checked when the tire is warm on these PF stock tires and am getting good traction and fuel economy but was wondering what others are doing.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah, that would be my theory too. When you want to reach down through something soft to what's underneath, be that water or snow or etc, higher pressures to round out the tires should be best. OTOH, if one is talking deep sand or snow, then lower pressures for a larger footprint would be better.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:58 pm

I run my max, I have a C load rated LT tires and they are kept at 48-50psi. Not only for furl eco but with how sloppy my suspension has gotten over 45k. I'm with Carl; low psi for flotation situations (sand , deep powder) and high for ice traction. Now how much of a gain would a fresh suspension give you versus a few pounds of pressure when it comes to winter conditions.

Return to “General Automotive”