R50 window control lights to LED's

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

scottrainey

R50 window control lights to LED's

Postby scottrainey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 am

I've been following the work of a few folks who've changed out their dash lights for LED's. I've successfully changed out my instrument cluster, climate control unit, and gear shift indicator on my 2001 Pathy with blue LED's (mostly purchased from from autolumination.com, but I did a DIY job on my climate control unit with LED's purchased off the shelf at Radio Shack, which necessitated wiring in resistors. While the setup isn't very pretty from behind (the resistors kind of hang in the open space behind the unit, but they're rock solid), I was rather pleased with myself that I made it work, and everything looks uniform.

The only exception would be my window/door lock control panels, on both the driver and passenger sides. They're both still rockin' the stock plain lights. So is my defroster switch, for that matter. Has anyone switched out those lights for LED's? Any recommendations for size? After spending the good part of an evening doing my AC unit, I'd rather go with ready-made, off-the-shelf items rather than futz around with resistors again. I'm guessing the clearance in there is similar to the (lack of) clearance in the defroster switch.

Speaking of, I've read a thread somewhere (either here or on nico) about exchanging the defroster bulb for a LED and resistor setup, similar to my climate control mod, but I found with the LED I had from Radio Shack plus the resistor there was just not enough clearance, so I've left it stock.

Lastly, does anyone know if the mirror control switch is supposed to be illuminated? I'd rather not go through yanking it out of the dash to look if there's not a bulb in there... :D [/i]

usserry

Postby usserry » Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am

the 194's are the correct lights to get from autolumination.com right? sorry i just want to make sure i get the right thing before i buy a bunch of them. I think i will change out all the interior lights to these led's and when i get to the window/door lock lights i will let you know what i find.

Thanks

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”