Front center AC vents, no air flow

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

Front center AC vents, no air flow

Postby mtbpath » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 am

Here is another one of those weird AC vents experience.
AC, all front vents and modes working fine. On the road around evening time and the 2 center front AC vents, no air flow. The started to play with the modes and anything to get the 2 center vents to blow air. Nothing. I thought maybe something stuck that would cause blockage. The side vents work fine, it was just the 2 center vents.
I called the dealer to ask for advise over the phone, of course their answer is to bring it in.
9 hours later, which was early morning, the vents worked. No blockage at all. I played with all the modes to make sure all vents were blowing.
I will monitor to see if it acts up again.
Where would I start looking to see if there is blockage to the vents in the engine bay area?
Has anyone had this happen to them?
Thanks.

fernando

Postby fernando » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm

no me

Burt

AC performance

Postby Burt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:11 am

Had similar happen to me on a couple of long trips. Did some homework and found this TSB. Should be a no brainer if you take this to the dealer. I'm going to mine this week. Let us know how you make out.

NTB06057

IF YOU CONFIRM: The Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) System, when set to a cold temperature, has reduced A/C performance after a long trip (drive). AND The A/C evaporator core is freezing up during the incident. ACTION: Replace the Front Air Control Unit (Cont Assy-Air Cond, Auto) with the applicable one from the Parts Information table below. Refer to Section ATC, Chapter FRONT AIR CONTROL in the appropriate ESM for direction on how to replace this part. See this bulletin for more details.
Burt

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 am

I would think an AC core freezup wouldn't only effect a pair of the dash vents and not the others. I sounds to me much more like whatever mixing/airflow doors that control flow to the center console vents isn't functioning properly.

Should be easy for the dealer to diagnose *IF* you can get it to them in a failing state. That can be a bit of a challenge of course...

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”