Stuff I've replaced or fixed

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Stuff I've replaced or fixed

Postby ShipFixer » Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Not complaining, but I just donated to Nissan again and was mentally tallying the list of everything that's been changed on my Pathfinder. This is Nissan #5 for me and I've never, ever had repair issues like this. Excluding stuff that's normal wear and tear like shocks, or the damage from my deer-kill comes to the following list:

- U joint (warranty)
- Bent front drive shaft (warranty)
- Cam chain tensioner (warranty)
- Radiator (warranty)
- Fan belt tensioner
- O-ring for the oil cooler to fix a leak
- O-ring for the A/C evaporator to fix a leak
- Every single exhaust shield band
- Rear wiper fluid nozzle
- Rear left upper control arm
- Four rear suspension cam bolts
- A/C compressor
- Vibrating cables in the console

And the list is a little worse than it seems. For instance I went in last year because my A/C was switching on and off after 20-30 minutes of driving. It took Nissan a week in the shop to determine that the A/C system was fine, as was the controller. The radiator had corroded and plugged itself to the point where the ECM was load shedding to reduce heat.

So it wasn't as if one day my radiator failed and the shop swapped it ASAP. And it seems like all of my problems have taken a lot of time to fix. My cam chain tensioner episode was around three weeks (Nissan provided a rental during the entire time, so I was happy). The bent drive shaft took several days to diagnose.

Still love my truck, although I love it a lot more now that everything is "fixed" and I've quiet-ized it with insulation after finally fixing some persistent rattles and noises. It's a terrific mountain and road bike hauler again. But I'm not sure I'd love it as much if my ability to afford emergent repairs were much less. I stuck with Nissan because my Sentras and J30 never failed me, and I was too leery of buying a Jeep after a Grand Wagoneer stranded my family in the 80's...but so much for that!

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

water pump
water pump
front shocks
engine mounts
upper control arms
cam sensors
timing chain
o-rings
tensioner
intake valve solenoid
camshaft
intake
radiator
manifold

after all that, complete brand new engine

all under warranty, excluding the 4 bumpers - 3 front/ 1 rear

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 am

That's a huge list for both of you.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 pm

You had a Grand Wagoneer too, huh. I owned a '90 for 11 years and I replaced most everything on it - twice. It used to take me a full day of checking it over before we'd go on a 1,000 mile trip.

I hate to say, but my PF hasn't had a single thing go wrong. I forget to even check the oil before trips now.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, my parents did. We had an '84 (I think) that just started falling apart after the warranty expired. Ranged from serious roadside issues like the thermostat cracking to expensive small things like power window tracks. The latter was not replaceable without the entire motor assembly, and took $300 each time...in 1986 dollars. My parents didn't buy another American vehicle again until a few years ago.

I'm not worried about the Pathfinder breaking down or something, and Nissan has covered nearly all of the really expensive things. It's just a lot more work than I've ever seen in any of my other vehicles.

I owned my last Sentra for eight years and replaced the fan belt once, the brake rotors twice. All of my other Nissans and my family's Nissans have been more or less the same. No issues. Then this...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 pm

I've only had my pathfinder 2 almost 3 months and so far it's been reliable. It's an 08 with only 20k on the clock, but after reading so many bad threads on this forum, I'm glad I have a warranty with it. Kind of scares me what could happen. I'm deployed and bought it for the wife prior to me leaving so I would not have to worry about her and the boy. I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the cousin to the Grand Wagoneer. It's been a great vehicle. I've lifted it, beat it up on off road trips and the thing just keeps on ticking. It's been a great vehicle. Jeep has done a great job in their recent vehicles. The Jeep is 12 years old and has it's issues now that I've lifted it and put alot of strees on it, but I can get out and fix it quick. Didn't want that for the wife. I hope these issues with the pathfinders I've seen on this club are rare.

Mac

Postby Mac » Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Hope I dont have all of that! I have 62,000 miles on my 08 SE. I have put about 1000 of those miles on it. Everything seems to be ok now. I test drove quite a few 08s and this one handled tighter and was a nicer ride than other 08s with less miles (for whatever reason :?). I think the other ones I test drove were driven hard in the city by your suburban types.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri May 20, 2011 10:19 am

I had several repairs within the first year of owning the pathfinder but since then it's been trouble free. It had 41k miles when I purchased it and now it's at 80k. I have an 05 and have not done the transmission cooler bypass yet but no issues so far.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 am

deermjd wrote:I had several repairs within the first year of owning the pathfinder but since then it's been trouble free. It had 41k miles when I purchased it and now it's at 80k. I have an 05 and have not done the transmission cooler bypass yet but no issues so far.
Good to hear some good news too.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:05 pm

add another pair of front shocks and a steering column to my list.
also under warranty.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri May 20, 2011 4:44 pm

mar1 wrote:add another pair of front shocks and a steering column to my list.
also under warranty.
doesn't surprise me with all the sand jumping you do. Im surprised the dealer is still replacing stuff for you since even you said they know what you do with the truck..

PC05

Postby PC05 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:44 pm

I have an 05 LE which I bought when it had 32k on it and I had the fuel issue which was replaced under recall and the other issues under recall, ECM relay and airbag sensor, other than that this thing is tight. Going to do Rad replace though before warranty runs out.

Damn nissan and these cheap ass rads they used!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 pm

I currently have 62k. Bought it with 50k on it. I replaced the alternator at 61k which was caused by me. They don't like to he completely submerged in muddy water that went over my hood. And on my to do list is u joints and complete fluid change.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Here is my service history.

16,037 Clunking noise over bumps - steering gear replaced
16,075 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on mounts/suspension
22,971 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on rubber hood stops
23,234 Clunking noise not resolved - found LT/FT body mount bad
41,741 Fuel sending unit failed - fuel sending unit replaced
42,812 IPDM failed and vehicle stalled in traffic - IPDM replaced
49,505 A/C quit working - high pressure hose replace & recharged
54,087 Check Engine Light on - passenger side catalytic converter bad
54,087 Passenger side motor mount found to be bad at same time
64,967 Oil Pressure high - Replaced oil pressure sensor
72,504 Check engine Ligt on - drivers side catalytic converter bad
72,504 Drivers side motor mount found to be bad at same time
72,504 Timing chain tensioners found to be bad at same time
72,504 Recall performed on ECM Relay

I traded the truck in when my 75K extended warranty ran out.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:32 am

pawjr74 wrote:Here is my service history.

16,037 Clunking noise over bumps - steering gear replaced
16,075 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on mounts/suspension
22,971 Clunking noise not resolved - lube sprayed on rubber hood stops
23,234 Clunking noise not resolved - found LT/FT body mount bad
41,741 Fuel sending unit failed - fuel sending unit replaced
42,812 IPDM failed and vehicle stalled in traffic - IPDM replaced
49,505 A/C quit working - high pressure hose replace & recharged
54,087 Check Engine Light on - passenger side catalytic converter bad
54,087 Passenger side motor mount found to be bad at same time
64,967 Oil Pressure high - Replaced oil pressure sensor
72,504 Check engine Ligt on - drivers side catalytic converter bad
72,504 Drivers side motor mount found to be bad at same time
72,504 Timing chain tensioners found to be bad at same time
72,504 Recall performed on ECM Relay

I traded the truck in when my 75K extended warranty ran out.
That's one heck of a a repair list. I thought I had it bad. I don't blame you for trading it in.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”