Did subs mess up my electric system? Something else?

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

dmccallister

Did subs mess up my electric system? Something else?

Postby dmccallister » Mon May 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Got my Pathfinder used, and it has been running like a champ since I took over. Just about a month ago, I got a new stereo to replace the OEM one. Then added subs and an amp.

The battery is fine - and it won't even start with w jump?

Any ideas? All the fuses look good. I have had cars that the battery said it was okay but then all problems solves with a new one anyway. Should I just start with that?

What else...?

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am

What stereo did you put in? (Wattage I mean)
How Old is the battery?
Did you wire the amp to a proper remote that ONLY turns on with ACC or ON?
Have you been using the stereo a lot with the engine off?

Why not take it somewhere to get the battery tested?
I always upgrade the battery with stereo as soon as the stocker dies.
Usually replace it with a Optima Yellow for my past car. Never had a problem after.
(I killed the stocker leaving the lights on one too many times.)

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 am

Try checking the battery terminals and connecting wires. My positive wire connector (that goes on the positive terminal on the battery) was corroded to the point that after replacing my battery (which was badly needed), I couldn't get the truck to turnover at all (there was like... half a volt that was able to bridge the corrosion and make to the truck's electrical system)

I purchased battery terminal cleaner and sprayed it on the connector as well as the terminal (just for safety, the battery was brand new). Then I reconnected everything and success!

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:51 pm

More information on your setup would help in tracking down the cause. Something could be grounded out causing your battery to have an extra load on it meaning you have to have the jump in order to be able to start everything else up. If you get your battery tested as good maybe try and start the car with the system plugged in and if it doesn't start, disconnect the AMP and try starting it again, that could help narrow it down.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”