Connect rear DVD to factory HU Rear AV button. PICs

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

scboyd99

Connect rear DVD to factory HU Rear AV button. PICs

Postby scboyd99 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Hello all and first let me say that I have searched these forums and the internet for something around this. I know it is out there but cannot find anything. I just picked up a 2006 Pathfinder LE with Nav but not rear DVD. I would like install the headrest DVD players. I noticed that my system has a button labeled Rear AV on the unit. Is there a way to tie the DVD audio to this OEM DVD button? I am very aware of the PAC AAI-NIS2 unit and will use this but just wanted to see if there is a way to use this button.

Second question is for someone that has the NAV system with rear factory DVD. I know the DVD system comes with head phones. I also realize the DVD would play through the HU. Are you able to listen to the DVDs in the back and the driver listen to another source. I think the answer is yes since the drive is not allowed to watch a DVD while driving. Hence my desire to connect the headrest DVD players to the Rear AV button.

Last question on a side note. Is the Sirius module a factory module or an aftermarket? I called the dealer and they said satellite was not available for this car. I am pretty sure this new car has XM but it does not work. Due to subscription pricing I would like to get a Sirius module. Can anyone suggest where to buy one?
Last edited by scboyd99 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

scboyd99

Postby scboyd99 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:32 am

Bump. Anyone? If not where can I get a wiring diagram of the radio connector in the 2006 LE with NAV? Thanks

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:35 am

check out this post. might some of what you are looking for.
http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1339

scboyd99

DVD to factory HU Rear AV button- SUCCESS!!!

Postby scboyd99 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 am

Hello All,
Well I am done and can declare success! Again I have to say thank you to many people on this forum but the most help was acomiskey and his post around OEM DVD Entertainment System Install Completed found here:
http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=1339

First let me define what I was hoping for. I wanted to keep everything as stock looking as possible, full entertainment for the kids, have kids DVD playing in the back while the wife and I could listen to music in the front. Well two out of three is not bad. I was hoping that when I connect the DVD to the factory HU it would play in the back only and I could listen to Satellite in the front (I have this setup in my other car with a Kenwood HU). The Pathfinder unit does not support that function. I know there are a few different way to get this done but decided just to connect it directly to the HU.

I spent a lot of time understanding what need to be connected and pins. FES and all that stuff. I was very excited when I started pulling apart the dash to tap into the M46 connector for the audio. Imagine my surprise when I got there and I did not have an M46 connector. Well that changed the game a little. The first thing I had to do was figure out how to connect to the M46 pins. To get a new factory harness was about $800 b/c the DVD does not seem to be a dealer option. I ended up buying a Metra OEM harness #71-7552 and then I grinded it down till I had 5 pin holes both top and bottom. Below are shot of the back of the radio, the diagrams from the service manual for the M46 connector and which pins you will need.

The wires in this picture are just temp, I was testing that I had the correct M46 connector until the 71-7552 arrived.

You need to jump pins 39&40 together so the HU think a factory DVD is connected.

I just soldered a set of RCA wired to the Metra connector. The next part only took 30 mins. I stalled the headrest DVD players. The DVD players I bought were off of ebay from lettucetrade. They were Pair 9" Headrest LCD Car Monitor 2 DVD Player USB BLACK. They matched the interior very well and seem like good quality. I am glad I went with the 9” monitor and not the 7”. To install them was very easy, just open the back of the seat (that made me nervous b/c it was a lot of pulling and prying). Slide in the new headrest and run the wire to the bottom of the middle console. I also wanted the driver to have full control of the player which meant a DVD player accessible from the front and a power switch just like acomiskey used. Then I mounted the Myron & Davis AD212 player in the arm rest section. There were a ton of wires but most of the connections were RCA but I also put connectors on each screen so the seats can be pulled out independently as well as the middle console. The only thing left was installing the power switch but that was simple almost everything had only two wires, positive switched and neg. Also note that that I used a PIE LD1 to make sure the input volume was about the same when you switch between radio, CD, and Rear AV (DVD). Here is the console all wired up:

This made it very easy to connect the RCA connections from the Head Unit to the PIE-LD-1
Here is the finished middle console
And here are the DVDs installed and playing a DVD from the middle DVD player
On a final note, the cool thing is that each headrest has their own DVD player (and yes you can link them together to play one DVD but that would be very hard for the driver to control.) as the kids get older they can watch their own DVDs and I don’t have to do a thing. The units can with a pair of headphones and even some games.

Hope this helps others.

acomiskey

Postby acomiskey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 am

Glad I could help....looks great!

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:49 pm

Quick question, my 2006 LE has nav but no rear dvd. Can I use that button or wiring behind it to rig in a simply AUX input for Ipod ?

I've done a similar thing in my other car utilizing the SAT module.

scboyd99

Postby scboyd99 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello, Yes you can use it as an AUX input. Use the same wiring kit I mentioned above. It will not control the iPOD but sounds like you get that. To keep volume level about the same as the rest of the sources the head unit expects about 3.4 Vrms.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks scboyd99, the kit you are refering to is the PID LD1 ?

jeffroyal

Postby jeffroyal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Looks great! So I just got a new Pathfinder and ordered the headrest dvd units. I want to know if I can use my front Monitor Unit w/o nav or Dvd to display the movies from the rear. (I have the factory back up camera) I figured that I can tap into the Aux input and the backup camera and do a bypass, but was wondering if there was something else I could do... Any ideas?

nabaraski

Postby nabaraski » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 am

What is a good workout DVD for someone with herniated discs? I am 24 years old & I have two herniated discs and a bulged disc in my lower back, but I wanted to start working out. Is there a DVD out there that is an actually workout that will help me loose weight but won't kill my back? I have looked and all I see is DVD's to make my back stronger.
Last edited by nabaraski on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks, that's one more mod to my Gotta Have It list.

Good job,

:P

aletz

Re: Connect rear DVD to factory HU Rear AV button. PICs

Postby aletz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:07 am

Hi, can u reupload the pics?? thank you in advance
scboyd99 wrote:Hello all and first let me say that I have searched these forums and the internet for something around this. I know it is out there but cannot find anything. I just picked up a 2006 Pathfinder LE with Nav but not rear DVD. I would like install the headrest DVD players. I noticed that my system has a button labeled Rear AV on the unit. Is there a way to tie the DVD audio to this OEM DVD button? I am very aware of the PAC AAI-NIS2 unit and will use this but just wanted to see if there is a way to use this button.

Second question is for someone that has the NAV system with rear factory DVD. I know the DVD system comes with head phones. I also realize the DVD would play through the HU. Are you able to listen to the DVDs in the back and the driver listen to another source. I think the answer is yes since the drive is not allowed to watch a DVD while driving. Hence my desire to connect the headrest DVD players to the Rear AV button.

Last question on a side note. Is the Sirius module a factory module or an aftermarket? I called the dealer and they said satellite was not available for this car. I am pretty sure this new car has XM but it does not work. Due to subscription pricing I would like to get a Sirius module. Can anyone suggest where to buy one?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:55 am

Old thread, not sure if he/she is around anymore.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”