A few 2011 ski photos from Utah

Amateur Photographer? Us too. Post your latest choice shots, doesn't necessarily have to be automotive related.

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

A few 2011 ski photos from Utah

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am

A few ski pictures from this past winter. I was hoping to post some from July 4th, but I ended up working that day (Snowbird was still open, with close to 800" of snow this season). Bummer-nothing beats seeing girls skiing in bikinis. While we did experience a massive amount of snowfall this winter, we never had a huge amount on the ground at any given time like in the Sierra this year. It just kept snowing & snowing, a bit of melt & snowing some more.

One of my favorite places for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking & backcountry skiing. 15 minutes from Salt Lake City.

We went on an organized outing put on by the army/D.O.D. (my gf works for them) back in January. Just across the Utah border in Idaho, on the west side of Bear Lake. A steep 8-mile ski to a yurt where we spent 2 nights with 8 other people at about 8,000'. We couldn't find it when we got to the general area, and of course our "guide" didn't have a GPS. We flagged a group of snowmobilers who proved to be extremely helpful & they found the yurt for us. It snowed for 2 days & was sunny the day we left. Temps were in the low teens outside & between 72-80 in the yurt. Nothing more exciting than doing your business while sitting on a 12 degree toilet seat outside under a lean-to with snow blowing in on you.

Side note: I don't understand the whole naming convention for snowmobiles & the act of snowmobiling. People out here call them sleds, snow machines & snowmobiles. The sledding part I don't understand, because if someone asks me if I want to go sledding, it doesn't mean hopping on a snowmobile in my mind.

About the only resort I frequent here is The Canyons. Mostly because I have a season pass & also because it's the closest thing to my favorite resort, Heavenly Valley in Nevada/California, that I could find in Utah. A large chunk of the resort has runs that go down between private houses, all of which are in the millions. Most likely a lot of corporate retreats & people with far too much money on their hands.

Looking down in the direction of the I-80 turnoff to Park City:

Along the trails:

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 am

beautiful!

i havent seen snow in a while. stunning scenery

Return to “Photo Gallery”