33" BFG AT KOs

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:01 am

Carl,

Since it's been a while, have you noticed any other situations where the tires rub?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Nope, no issues, though haven't played in Tahoe snow or off-road with these tires yet.

-c

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:34 pm

RacerZX wrote:Nope, no issues, though haven't played in Tahoe snow or off-road with these tires yet.

-c
Still no off the highway driving? Did you ever figure out a suitable PSI to run? Is the ride noticably harsher, or have you found a happy medium?

Blink: same questions apply to you. Also, since you have the OME, would you say your tires are rubbing just as high as Carl's were? Or is/was the rubbing on yours a bit lower, at least compared to the great photo Carl posted showing the well with the rub points circled?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Not really, just that snow play in Tahoe, drove maybe a quarter mile on a dirt road with 4-6" of fresh snow on it no problem. As for real fun, I'm thinking of taking the kids camping in Joshua Tree for Spring Break, that'll probably be the first real rocky off-road fun.

As for PSIs, I don't recall off the top of my head :oops: , I think 45 or 50, my butt dyno isn't that sensitive to stiffness, that's how I like it :twisted:

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:06 am

I don't recall the rear rubbing at all nor being able to find marks. But it does rub on the frame and front at basically the exact same spots. Maybe slightly lower in the front. It's tough to tell because I had the tires on well before the lift.

I run at whatever psi cold so I'm around 50psi when at temp. Right now I start around 45-46psi in the cold am then by the time the tires are up to temp they usually report 50-51. They definitely felt sloppier when I was down in the 32-40psi at temp range. I haven't gone over 50 because it has felt fine.

Depending on the weather I'll be up in the Adirondacks next weekend in Caroga Lake, north of Albany, NY for some ice fishing and general mayhem. If snow I'm taking the path and playing. If clear weather I'm driving the Sentra to save on gas. I'll let you know what I find.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:50 am

RacerZX wrote:As for real fun, I'm thinking of taking the kids camping in Joshua Tree for Spring Break, that'll probably be the first real rocky off-road fun.
I'm currently shooting for my annual Death Valley trip sometime in March. It seems to be harder this year getting everyone together with the same dates off, so I'm not exactly positive when I'll be going. Only that I will for sure be going. Hopefully with a few Death Valley "virgins" in tow (those who have never been there). I want to give the OME a bit of a workout, and hit up a few places I didn't make it to last year. Maybe with new tires, maybe not.

Anyway, I look forward to any comments off road-wise with oversized tires.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:56 am

I honestly don't expect any issues in a droop condition, and *maybe* some slight extra rubbing in a stuffed condition in stock weight. The extra stiffness of the springs should prevent any stupid amounts of compression. Now fully load the rig with people, as much gear as you can stuff inside and toss a few hundred #'s up on the rack. You might get into some situations where it would tear off a liner or flap. Something big like an ARB winch bumper that adds a 100+ lbs to the front would certainly increase that possibility.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:59 am

blink32 wrote:I don't recall the rear rubbing at all nor being able to find marks. But it does rub on the frame and front at basically the exact same spots. Maybe slightly lower in the front. It's tough to tell because I had the tires on well before the lift.
Does it hit the frame only at a full turn? Can you notice it when it does?

What I'm wondering is how bad the rubbing will increase when the front wheels get stuffed up under the well, such as when driving off road and driving over a large rock on one side of the vehicle. I mean if it is rubbing on a flat surface, surely it will rub quite a bit more when stuffed, especially since the wells angle inward. So, I'd really like to hear from people who have been in a similar situation.
I'll let you know what I find.
That would be great, thanks.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 am

NVSteve wrote: Does it hit the frame only at a full turn? Can you notice it when it does?
Full turn only and nope, can't notice at all.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah, let me be clear as well, I get no, zero, 0, audible rubbing in normal agressive (can I drive any other way?) pavement driving, period.

airborneranger

Postby airborneranger » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:43 pm

With a PRG 2" lift and 285/75/16's, is there still rubbing?

Morpheus5000

Postby Morpheus5000 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:12 pm

in this month i want to buy a set of tyres for mud.
i want to mount 245/75 R17 reconstructed (regenerated) and their real measure are 84cm

anyone ever thought to mounting spacers like these with tires 33" for resolve the problem of the rub? :roll:

http://goo.gl/Z0EBH

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”