The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Rear Shocks options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roborob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Rear Shocks options? Reply with quote

OK,

After much searching to no avail, I'm askin the collective.

I feel I need new rear shocks (even if the stealership gives them the thumb's up). Mushy, saggy (to my eye), and bottoms out on speed bumps.

What is a good replacement rear shock? And why? I don't mind a little harder ride, just sick of the mushy feel.

Thanks in advance, ROB
mar1
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout air leveling kits ?

volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not bought the air kit, but plan too. I've been reading up on them and think it will be a nice addition to the pathfinder.
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shocks options? Reply with quote

roborob wrote:

I feel I need new rear shocks (even if the stealership gives them the thumb's up). Mushy, saggy (to my eye), and bottoms out on speed bumps.

Mine came stock with POS Ranchos & I was bottoming out all the time. No shock is going to stop that from happening because it's caused by the really soft springs. From what I've heard, the airbags do help quite a bit. There are a few shocks to choose from for the rear, such as Rancho, Monroe, etc. When my rear shock blew, the only shock in stock anywhere was the Monroe, so I'm currently running those in the rear. I cringed when they put them on, but I'd have to say they are much better than the Old Man Emu shocks they replaced. A lifetime warranty was also a nice bonus.
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have monroe shocks on my old 89 Nissan hard body D21 pickup and they did great. I never had any problem with them.
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
PhdPerformance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Gabriel Hi-Jacker Air Assist Shocks Reply with quote

I installed some Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks (they have airbags in them). All you have to do is run air lines and mount the valve where you want it. I put my valve in the removable cover behind the passenger side tail lights. The nice thing about these is they are under $60 for a pair at Autozone, they stiffen up the ride and give you an extra 2-3" of lift depending on what all you are hauling.
- Elec Rad Fan Conversion
- Mastercraft Courser MT 32/11.50/R15
- Gabriel Hi Jacker shocks
- Energy Suspension front control arm bushings
- Converted rear drum to disc brakes
- Mile Marker manual lockouts
- Custom Bumpers
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Gabriel Hi-Jackers. I used to work at autozone and they were sold there. I think in my 2 years there I think maybe 3 sets were sold that I know of. However the customer always came back and said how much they enjoyed/liked the shocks. I might look into these if they are an opition for the R51s.
roborob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shocks options? Reply with quote

NVSteve wrote:
roborob wrote:

Mine came stock with POS Ranchos & I was bottoming out all the time. No shock is going to stop that from happening because it's caused by the really soft springs. From what I've heard, the airbags do help quite a bit. There are a few shocks to choose from for the rear, such as Rancho, Monroe, etc. When my rear shock blew, the only shock in stock anywhere was the Monroe, so I'm currently running those in the rear. I cringed when they put them on, but I'd have to say they are much better than the Old Man Emu shocks they replaced. A lifetime warranty was also a nice bonus.

So, do you think my problem is with the springs? The dealership service dept. looked at my existing rear shocks and said no leaks or sign of wear so they are OK as far as they are concerned. I don't want to throw $250 at shock absorbers to get the same ride. (I was secretly hoping it was shock absorbers cuz I can replace them, Springs are a different set of tools and ability I just don't have).
NVSteve
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shocks options? Reply with quote

roborob wrote:

So, do you think my problem is with the springs? The dealership service dept. looked at my existing rear shocks and said no leaks or sign of wear so they are OK as far as they are concerned. I don't want to throw $250 at shock absorbers to get the same ride. (I was secretly hoping it was shock absorbers cuz I can replace them, Springs are a different set of tools and ability I just don't have).

If you have a mushy rear end in the Pathfinder, then yes, new shocks won't help. From what I understand, removing the rear shocks is a bit of a bitch because there is no room for one of the bolts. Installing new springs actually sound pretty easy in the rear because no special tools are required, unlike the fronts which have to be compressed.
roborob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shocks options? Reply with quote

You say "Installing new springs actually sound pretty easy in the rear because no special tools are required". Do you know no special tools are required? The springs don't have to be compressed, thats a bounus. Have you done this upgrade? Anyone out there done this upgrade in thier garage?

Thanks again.

NVSteve wrote:
roborob wrote:

If you have a mushy rear end in the Pathfinder, then yes, new shocks won't help. From what I understand, removing the rear shocks is a bit of a bitch because there is no room for one of the bolts. Installing new springs actually sound pretty easy in the rear because no special tools are required, unlike the fronts which have to be compressed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 4x4 Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: