Monroe shocks

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

bpk01

Monroe shocks

Postby bpk01 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 am

I just ordered a complete set of Monroe shocks to replace my stock suspension. I ordered sensa tracs for the front and the only rear they had (I will get part numbers when they arrive). I wanted to make a review post for those that want to stay stock and are looking for a good shock. I had a set of these on my 95 4runner and liked them. I'll report back with pictures and maybe a DIY. Also these were fairly cheap from advanced auto. The fronts were 83 a piece and the rears were 43 a piece. They're running a special too with $30 off a $150 order plus Monroe has a mail in rebate. As of right now I've spent $250 and some change and I don't know how much the rebate will be. I'd say that's very economical. Now to wait 3-4 business days :cry:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 am

I've not replaced my shocks on the pathfinder, but I've used monroe shocks on my old 89 nissan truck and they worked great.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:30 pm

volvite wrote:I've not replaced my shocks on the pathfinder, but I've used monroe shocks on my old 89 nissan truck and they worked great.
I've only heard good things about Monroe so let's hope the streak continues. The part numbers for what I ordered are Sensa-Trac strut part #71103 Reflex Rear shock part #911274 and two red shock boots. They will be here Wednesday.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:07 am

I have Monroe in the rear of mine & really like them. Better than the OME that were in previously. If I could stuff them in the front using the longer than stock OME springs, I would.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Everything came in on time but when I went to install I couldn't get the bottom bolt off of the strut I started the install late on Friday so I couldn't work on it too long I'll be trying again next saturday when I have all day to do it. ANy advice on that bottom bolt?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Go buy some PB blaster. That stuff works great on breaking loose rusted nuts and bolts.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:56 pm

I went out and bought some PB blaster and a breaking bar with a 19 mm deep socket I'm crossing my fingers this time.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 am

Any feedback on the monroe shocks? Would you recommend them. I am considering replacing my original shocks and struts with Monroe in the next few months.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:08 pm

deermjd wrote:Any feedback on the monroe shocks? Would you recommend them. I am considering replacing my original shocks and struts with Monroe in the next few months.
Sorry it has taken me so long. I finally was able to set a side a day to do the install. It went smoothly after I figured out the stabilizer bar in the front. I would highly recommend the Monroe struts and shocks. They have completely taken out the harsh ride we were experiencing in the rear which were completely blown.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 pm

deermjd wrote:Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
No problem I'm hoping they last for a while but I also want to install a lift Does anyone know how well the sensa trac and reflex shocks will perform with a 2" lift?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

bpk01 wrote: No problem I'm hoping they last for a while but I also want to install a lift Does anyone know how well the sensa trac and reflex shocks will perform with a 2" lift?
No problem with the rear. Mine are paired up with OME springs (about 2.3" of lift) in the rear. I don't think you'll be able to combine a spring lift & the Monroe in the front. From what I remember, the bottom plate on the shock that the spring rests on is at a different location on stock shocks vs a shock intended for the lift. You'd probably have to go with something like a Radflo coilover, OME springs & shocks, etc.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:26 pm

NVSteve wrote:
bpk01 wrote: No problem I'm hoping they last for a while but I also want to install a lift Does anyone know how well the sensa trac and reflex shocks will perform with a 2" lift?
No problem with the rear. Mine are paired up with OME springs (about 2.3" of lift) in the rear. I don't think you'll be able to combine a spring lift & the Monroe in the front. From what I remember, the bottom plate on the shock that the spring rests on is at a different location on stock shocks vs a shock intended for the lift. You'd probably have to go with something like a Radflo coilover, OME springs & shocks, etc.
Well damn I guess I'll wait 50,000 miles to justify changing struts. But I will definitely keep Monroes in the rear with the OME shocks. I will have a while to decide which front combination I want to go with :(

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”