H&R Springs

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 am

I cut the front coils last night. I took off 3/4 of a coil from each side. It dropped the front down about 1/2 an inch. I am much happier now. My Pathfinder has a very subtle lowered appearance. It is harldy noticeable unless I park next to another Pathy. The springs dropped the rear 1 inch without cutting, and the front a 1/2 inch after cutting some dead coil.

It still rides great. I will try to get a pic up soon... maybe before and after pics.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm following this one as I need to do something about the sloppy handling. The airbags and Bilsteins I've installed help a lot...but it's still sloppy for the roads I'm driving (Car and Driver comes through here a couple times a year on the same route I drive every day). No doubt a lot of it is the springs so I'm thinking about the H&R route as well. I don't care about lowering it per say....just so it improves the handling significantly.

So are you able to keep the same shocks/struts with these springs? I realize you've left the OEM shocks on...but is that the ideal size or do you plan to shop for something more appropriate? I'm also wondering if I can use the same airbags I have now. I tow at times and think that's a good option to still have. Mine is a 4x4 although I don't see any mention of different applications.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm

skinny2 wrote: So are you able to keep the same shocks/struts with these springs? I realize you've left the OEM shocks on...but is that the ideal size or do you plan to shop for something more appropriate? I'm also wondering if I can use the same airbags I have now. I tow at times and think that's a good option to still have. Mine is a 4x4 although I don't see any mention of different applications.
First of all, sorry it took so long to reply. I wrecked my Pathy about 2 weeks ago and it was in the body shop. Between that, an starting a new job next week, I havent kept up with the forum lately.

I havent decided what to do about shocks/ struts. I probably need to replace them since I have almost 130K on my '05 with the original set. I really want to put KYB shocks/ struts on it since KYB finally came out with part #'s for the R51.

Overall, I ended up with about a 1 inch drop in the rear, and 5/8" drop front. I did have to cut 3/4 of a coil off of the fronts to get the 5/8's.
The springs helped a ton with body roll and handling. It is still a comfy ride, on decent roads. Over railroad tracks, speed bumps, or really bumpy roads, it gets a tad bouncy... sometimes. Only in the rear though, frotn seems fine. It feels like the shocks are almost hitting the extent of their compression range at times.

Do I need to replace the shocks with some that have a smaller compressed length? I dont think so. From past experiences with KYB's, they are so much better than oem that I bet they wont reach the compressed limit nearly as much. Honestly, I dont think the stiffness and occasional bounciness is too bad. Passengers dont seem to notice it unless they know I put on the H&R's.

alloutz79

Postby alloutz79 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:42 pm

just a stupid observation, but on H&R's site it lists :

Pathfinder Typ R51 2005-up Sport Spring 22, not AWD 1.9 1.8 29104-1 $369.00

WTF does it mean, "NOT AWD"?????

isn't everyone using these springs on AWD models? Thanks
I'm just confused

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 am

BMXPath wrote: Do I need to replace the shocks with some that have a smaller compressed length? I dont think so. From past experiences with KYB's, they are so much better than oem that I bet they wont reach the compressed limit nearly as much. Honestly, I dont think the stiffness and occasional bounciness is too bad. Passengers dont seem to notice it unless they know I put on the H&R's.
Doesn't really matter who makes the shock or how expensive or well made it is - bottoming out is bottoming out. Nothing shortens the life span of a shock like the compression piston hitting the end of its travel with hundreds of pounds of force at each corner bearing down on a tiny little steel and/or aluminum surface, and nowhere to go.

Actually, I think that's one of the reasons the stock suspension is so craptacular...the rears are so soft that the shocks bottom out regularly and are worn out in very short order.

Lowering springs done right usually involve shocks or struts made to come with it. Or a shortened compression rod and/or housing. KYB's installed in Sentra's like my old one with lowering springs required a hack job with the stock strut mounts to make them work right.

Anyway...maybe your truck isn't bottoming out. But it can be really hard to tell with stiffer springs. And even if it's not the shock will work better if the valves are up in the middle of the oil volume instead of near the end...

found

Postby found » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:03 am

there are external bump stops that it will hit before the internal bump stop is reached. so it is possible that you are blowing through the shock travel and hitting rubber bump stop on frame.

roborob

Postby roborob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Morio wrote:Thanks.... Looks like I am going to pick up some springs and shocks....i will then change out the ugly stock wheels and crappy tires......
Thanks, your pre-mod explanition of the ride feel is exactly what mine feels like. Maybe I need springs and not shocks.

Was you choice of springs based on price (mainly) or performance (mainly).

Squid

2006 pathfinder suspension

Postby Squid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Our 2006 pathfinder is bouncing all over the place on the road. Every bump feels like its exaggerated.

Any recommendations to fix this problem?

roborob

Re: 2006 pathfinder suspension

Postby roborob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Squid wrote:Our 2006 pathfinder is bouncing all over the place on the road. Every bump feels like its exaggerated.

Any recommendations to fix this problem?
Sounds exactly like my ride. Love the SUV but the ride is HORRIBLE! Sounds like you need springs also.

abegnoche

Just a follow up question to your lowering springs post:

Postby abegnoche » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:54 pm

I live in Vermont and own a 2007 LE. While the springs seem softer than the ones I had on my 4Runner, the overall ride quality is good. Our roads may not be a smooth as yours in Texas. I would like to know how the ride is on your vehicle, now that you've had some time with the H&R springs. Also, what were the spring rates, front and rear, for the new springs? Thank you. Allen Quote="BMXPath"]I love the handling. A bit disappointed as far as the front lowering (measured 1/8 of an inch drop). I will probably be cutting some dead coil off to get the front down about an inch. Billy T had cut 1 1/2 coils off the front to achieve what he wanted on his V8 Path. I am going to try 1/2 to 1 full coil.[/quote]

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”