Sway bar links - anyone replaced these yet?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

slavabon

Sway bar links - anyone replaced these yet?

Postby slavabon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Has anyone replaced their sway bar end links yet? If so, what mileage was this done at? What were the symptoms? I have been inspecting my front suspension trying to resolve a few problems. Minor occasional clunk is almost gone with new sway bar bushings, but I still get some noises that I can't pin point. Front-end of the truck also shudders/vibrates briefly when i hit hit potholes travelling on the highway. No such problem when driving slow. No big deal, but any time you hit a decent pothose it resonates through steering columns and pedals - like somehting is loose in the suspension. Truck is 2010 with 32K, dealer says all is fine, but I tend to disagree. I'm curious if busted sway-bar link will do this or if I should be looking at the steering mechanism? Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have regarding how to pin point the problem.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

So is this a new problem after you have replaced the sway bar bushings?

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:45 pm

This issue was there all along. Replacing the sway bar bushings made the low speed clunking when turning go away. High speed resonance/vibration (happens very briefly when hitting pot holes on the highway is still there. I'm wondering if its curable. Dealership can not find anything wrong.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Quick update... After looking around on Frontier forums it became apparent that this issue is not that uncommon. I picked up a pair of Moog end-links (a little beefier than OEM stuff) and installed them - so far the problem has not manifester it self. I tried duplicating all the conditions when the "POP noise" was obvious and its all quiet now. Looks like it was OEM endlinks giving me grief.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Nice. How expensive were the updated end links?

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:26 am

slavabon wrote:Quick update... After looking around on Frontier forums it became apparent that this issue is not that uncommon. I picked up a pair of Moog end-links (a little beefier than OEM stuff) and installed them - so far the problem has not manifester it self. I tried duplicating all the conditions when the "POP noise" was obvious and its all quiet now. Looks like it was OEM endlinks giving me grief.
Where did you get the moog end links from?

Thanks

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm

I just googled them and came across some web-store. There were lots of hits though. If needed, I can probably look up the same place. Moog units were a bit pricy - $50 for a pair. But they looked Bedford than stock end links.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”