Towing Tire Pressure?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Towing Tire Pressure?

Postby marc515 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 am

I have the 2011 Pathfinder Silver, and occasionally tow our camper with it.

The tire label on the door indicates 35PSI cold, and the tire sidewall indicates 44PSI cold max.

Should I run the 44PSI when towing? in the rear only or all 4 tires?

Thank you

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Towing Tire Pressure?

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 am

marc515 wrote:I have the 2011 Pathfinder Silver, and occasionally tow our camper with it.

The tire label on the door indicates 35PSI cold, and the tire sidewall indicates 44PSI cold max.

Should I run the 44PSI when towing? in the rear only or all 4 tires?

Thank you
I'd stick with the label on the door. Unless you are planning to exceed the max load of 600lbs tongue weight/6000lbs total weight. And I doubt anyone on here would recommend you try that.

t

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Guys,

You always go with whats on the tire. The door is assuming a specific tire and model that probably came on the vehicle.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm not so sure about that. Ford Explorers from 2001 come to mind...

Follow the door jamb, and you can add 10% or so if you want a stiffer ride or better fuel economy.

My tires had a max pressure of 80psi, trust me you don't run them at that pressure.

t

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 am

disallow wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Ford Explorers from 2001 come to mind...

Follow the door jamb, and you can add 10% or so if you want a stiffer ride or better fuel economy.

My tires had a max pressure of 80psi, trust me you don't run them at that pressure.

t
+1 :!:

yeziam

Postby yeziam » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:07 am

Do not go off of the max pressure of the tire. The recommended tire pressure on the door jam is based on the weight and weight distribution of the vehicle, as well as the tire specs. If you have stock spec tires, stick to the door jam tire pressures as it's vehicle specific.

If you have LT tires or something different than stock use the following to determine recommended pressure:

Total Loaded Weight of vehicle/4 = x
x/max tire load (on sidewall) = y
max tire pressure*y = z
z=recommended tire pressure.

This equation is for a vehicle with 50/50% weight distribution. If you're loaded just divide the front axle weight and rear axle weight by 2 to get front and rear pressure. To further dial it in, you can use the chalk line technique to analyze the tire contact patch.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 am

I haven't read the PF manual cover to cover (sue me) but most recommend increasing tire pressure when towing. With more load on the tire it will heat up quicker at a lower psi. The max tire pressure is just that...you can safely run it up to that pressure without issue. The door jam is for typical unloaded vehicle and takes into account comfort, typical wear, etc.

I wouldn't recommend going with max per tire on an unloaded vehicle as it will get bouncy and wear crazy. But loaded is another story. My Dodge specifically says to go to max tire pressure (80psi in my case) when towing at max capacity.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 pm

i know it's an old post, but...

imo-

35 cold when regular driving.

if you're going to be towing and/or carrying -alot- of weight in the cargo area then 40 cold in the back.

at least that was the recommendation from uhaul when towing, and i already put more air in the back when loaded down.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”