New (to me) 2005 Pathfinder lift on the cheap?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

XiBowhunter

New (to me) 2005 Pathfinder lift on the cheap?

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:15 am

I just bought a 2005 Pathfinder, after owning a 2001 Xterra and a 1993 Hardbody. I have had GREAT success with Nissan vehicles.

My 2005 Pathfinder seems like it will fall right in line with the other Nissans I have owned, but I am concerned about my ground clerance.

I do some light farming, help on my Father's horse farm, and hunt/fish every chance I get, which puts me in some rough terrain a lot of time with my vehicle.

I won't be doing any serious offroading with my Pathfinder, but I would like to get a little more ground clearance for my offroad situations.

I am on a limited budget right now, as I just had a child in the past year, so I need a lift on a budget. Can some of you here suggest the best setup for my situation, and what kind of money i am looking at spending for a lift for my Pathfinder?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:06 am

I got about 1.5" lift on the rear wheels by installing the Airlift 1000 kit. Not sure if thats what you are looking for though.

I find that the 9-10" clearance seems to be more than adequate, and I've done some decent offroading...

t

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:25 am

disallow wrote:I got about 1.5" lift on the rear wheels by installing the Airlift 1000 kit. Not sure if thats what you are looking for though.

I find that the 9-10" clearance seems to be more than adequate, and I've done some decent offroading...

t
Is the 9-10" clearance the stock ground clearance for a 2005 Pathfinder SE?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 am

Yep, pretty sure that's what I remember.

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm

disallow wrote:Yep, pretty sure that's what I remember.
Although I would love to have some extra ground clearance, I may not need it.

I would still like to get some imput from the guys here about lifts and prices.

CPLTECH

Radiator first

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:55 pm

If it hasn’t been replaced yet, consider a radiator replacement immediately [like last week] before anything else. They have a nasty habit of destroying the trans on these vehicles without warning. Nissan extended the warranty to 8yr/80K miles but most of your vintage are beyond that.

XiBowhunter

Re: Radiator first

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 pm

CPLTECH wrote:If it hasn’t been replaced yet, consider a radiator replacement immediately [like last week] before anything else. They have a nasty habit of destroying the trans on these vehicles without warning. Nissan extended the warranty to 8yr/80K miles but most of your vintage are beyond that.
Thanks so much for the tip! I will look into it right now.

BTW, how in the world does the radiator effect the transmission?

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I just bought a set of Rancho Loaded quicklift shocks and rear spacers which should give me about a 2" lift. Still waiting for one more box to arrive and a free weekend to install it. I know a bunch of guys in the lift thread have had good luck with it and is why I bought it. Will end up costing about $500 for parts after rebates and discounts. About the same $$ as replacing the stock struts and shocks which after 93k it desperately needs.

CPLTECH

Re: Radiator first

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm

XiBowhunter wrote: BTW, how in the world does the radiator effect the transmission?
The trans cooling section cracks or corrodes so the two fluids intermingle. Lots of posts on the subject here on this forum and elsewhere. After I bought my 2006 2 yr ago, I then came across this forum. I was sickened so did the proactive thing and replaced the radiator for piece of mind insurance. I have come to enjoy my PF. I keep telling myself each mfg has problems that vary from brand to brand, but think I stopped one of the most expensive, the trans [$6K or so].

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:50 pm

265/75 Goodyear Duratracs and some good bumpers will serve you far better than any "lift"

lifting IFS/IRS rigs is kinda silly as the articulation is limited by it's geometry. Coilovers/UCAs, ok.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”