Pathy on the beach

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:06 am

sorry to steal the thunder with the pic. my pathfinder is not lifted, and i still had the bottom trim piece installed at that time.

it wasnt digging in, but was dragging the sand in front of it.
it was a brown-trousers moment.

Rebel

Confused!

Postby Rebel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Okay, so doesn't it, in 4 high, still have traction control on? In such a way that if you slide sideways it tries to put you straight by braking the front tire on the outside wheel? Just like in 2wd? And it seems to take power away. With VDC off it doesn't take power away, or brake the outside tire.

I like abls, that's just braking the tire that's slipping more, right? I thought that's how it worked...so it your going down hill like mar1's picture it would brake a tire that's slipping but if your still giving it gas it will continue to move with VDC off.

Mar1 contributes this to ABS, if you brake and don't have ABS it will still put the front end in the sand, right? I've done a lot of driving downhill on slippery mud surfaces and love ABS, otherwise I wouldn't be able to steer.

Guess I'm a little confused on what all of you are saying. Isn't there a big difference between ABLS, ABS, and VDC?

Why are you braking on a downhill sand dune?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:59 pm

usually power distribution to the brakes isnt 50-50 front-rear.

its much more power to the front (maybe 70/30), which is why you may notice your front pads wear out much more than your rear ones.

on that incline, the truck was in low first gear and still pulling down quick sliding from the rear at times. i preferred the brakes and digging the front in, rather than going sideways and risking a rollover.

Return to “R51 General Chat”