LT vs P Tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

cgray

LT vs P Tires

Postby cgray » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Is anyone running LT tires? I am looking at putting bigger tires on soon after my 2" lift is installed next week. After looking around on Discount Tires website I noticed that most of the tires that are larger than the stock 265/70-16 go to a LT (Light Truck) type tire. I know the LT will be a little tougher and heavier. Which in turn mean more rotating mass and a slightly rougher ride, if anyone is running the LT's let me know what you think of them. Thanks!

ok second question. Is anyone running anything bigger than a 265/75-16 with a 2" lift? I noticed that P265/75-16 is 31.5" and LT265/75-16 is 32". Right now I am leaning towards the LT type in the BF all terrain tire. I had the BF AT's on my old Jeep and loved them.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm running LT tires. I have the goodyear duratracs...

LT265/70R17 They equal out to be a 31.7 inch tire. I've loved them so far. I've had them on about 10K miles.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 am

Have you noticed any difference in ride? From what I have read the LT tires are a little more durable.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 am

Well the Duratracs are an AT tire. They are more aggressive than the long trails or whatever the stock tires were. They make a little more noise. They are heavier and my MPGs did suffer some. However I trust them more on and off road then the stock tires. They have handled great and will probably get them again.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

yep 265/70r17 BFG A/T in LT the ride will become more truck like feel.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Holy the Cap'ns alive! :)

I ran some LT Bridgestone REV02s for a while. Loved em. Now I have the P version, don't love em as much.

For what its worth! :)

t

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I will probably go with the LT type. Give a few more options if I was to stray away from the BF AT. I have until wintertime to make up my mind, they tires that are on there still have some meat on them.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: LT vs P Tires

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:52 am

cgray wrote:Is anyone running LT tires? I am looking at putting bigger tires on soon after my 2" lift is installed next week. After looking around on Discount Tires website I noticed that most of the tires that are larger than the stock 265/70-16 go to a LT (Light Truck) type tire. I know the LT will be a little tougher and heavier. Which in turn mean more rotating mass and a slightly rougher ride, if anyone is running the LT's let me know what you think of them. Thanks!
Yep. I ran the with LT Revos the first set, then replaced them with the Goodyear Duratracs. 265/75/16. You can run with a 285/75/16, but there will be a good chance of minor frame rubbing & the "fender melt mod" is a must. My Duratracs seem to be wearing very well. One of the other differences between a P and LT is that the tread depth on the LT will be greater.
I had the BF AT's on my old Jeep and loved them.
I'm in the opposite camp. I've had them on 3 vehicles, and the things were great with tread, but once they wear down a bit, I noticed lots of hydroplaning & that is totally not cool when on the faster roads. I know a lot of people swear by them, but I'll never buy them again for the conditions I face where I live.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks for the info. Got the lift installed this weekend and it looks great. Now I need to get the Airlift Kit for the rear and then it will be time to figure out which tires I want to go with.

What would be a minium tread depth I could run my current tires down to in summer conditions until i would really need to replace them? Is 4/32 too little?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:05 pm

cgray wrote:Thanks for the info. Got the lift installed this weekend and it looks great. Now I need to get the Airlift Kit for the rear and then it will be time to figure out which tires I want to go with.

What would be a minium tread depth I could run my current tires down to in summer conditions until i would really need to replace them? Is 4/32 too little?
If you are not looking to do much off road and mainly street driving, I'd keep the tires you have on just until you reach the wear bar. Then I'd look at getting some good all around ATs like the Duratracs prior to winter driving to have good tread for the snow and for future use.

I too agree with NVSteve about the BFGs. My brother had them on his 99 Suburban and they were worn, but still had tread depth but they were not good for the roads in UT.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:32 pm

cgray wrote: What would be a minium tread depth I could run my current tires down to in summer conditions until i would really need to replace them? Is 4/32 too little?
I think 3/32 - 4/32 is pretty much the norm as to when tires need to be changed. But, I think you could easily milk a summer out of them if need be. Just have a look at various tires on different cars in a parking lot. When new, those little P rated tires have no tread to begin with, and I constantly see people driving around with tires that are virtually bald.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”