Monroe vs. Rancho vs. KYB vs. Bilstein vs. OEM

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

sbg

Monroe vs. Rancho vs. KYB vs. Bilstein vs. OEM

Postby sbg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello All! I have a '01 PF and am looking to replace struts and shocks. My goal is to achieve the best handling I can without going too stiff for an overly bumpy ride. Is it possible to get all the comfort of the truck at brand new with the OEM parts AND better handling? Also, who makes the best parts for this? I've been reading good things about Monroe. People have said they are far superior to the OEM. Ideally I would replace the springs as well, just I am hesitant to put that much money into the truck and really don't have any idea if it's needed. It has 140k. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks!

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Hmmm, no reply...I've been contemplating this question as well. But will probably go Monroe due to cost, user reports and ease of getting them.

So, how hard are the fronts to replace? Will I need a spring compressor or does dropping the suspension all the way fully relieve spring tension?

strombeckj

Postby strombeckj » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 am

You will need a spring compressor that can be borrowed for just a deposit at most major parts stores. It is really very simple.

Jon

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Good to know, thanks Jon!

I'm taking the Pathy back to the dealer Tuesday. They replaced the front half-shafts' u-joints 2 weeks ago and since then the right front feels loose. At times I think it's the shock(s), others I don't know. I just know I didn't feel it before the servicing. And I did check the lug nuts, they were tight.

What is the best way to know if a shock has gone? I've heard of the "bounce" test where you kinda jump of the vehicle and if it bounces more than 1-2 times before stopping they're bad. But I have no clue how true that is.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Unless there is an issue with ride height, I wouldn't change the springs. I installed a lot of KYB's over the years and have always been happy with them. They are an original equipment manufacturer for Nissan and have a limited lifetime warranty. I usually get the G2's, which are designed as a stock replacement but are just a little firmer.

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 am

I installed a set of bilstiens on the rear of mine not too long ago and it has been night and day. no more bottoming out over bumps or dips in the road :D

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm

same here I installed Bilsteins in the rear and it is a completely different ride. Going to do the fronts soon

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I have Bilstein 5100s on my Tundra, they're the joint and will be going on the Pathfinder after the stockers are shot.

Linkz

Postby Linkz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 am

khaosduke wrote:same here I installed Bilsteins in the rear and it is a completely different ride. Going to do the fronts soon
hi can you tell me which model Bilsteins you installed on your pathy? i have a 2001 pathy and i trying to buy Bilsteins for the rear as well.

Quinlan

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:39 am

Linkz wrote:
khaosduke wrote:same here I installed Bilsteins in the rear and it is a completely different ride. Going to do the fronts soon
hi can you tell me which model Bilsteins you installed on your pathy? i have a 2001 pathy and i trying to buy Bilsteins for the rear as well.

Quinlan
I installed Bilsteins 5100 on the rear of my Pathfinder
I ordered them from Autozone.

Linkz

Postby Linkz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:02 am

1armyguy wrote:
Linkz wrote:

Quinlan
I installed Bilsteins 5100 on the rear of my Pathfinder
I ordered them from Autozone.
Thanks for your reply but can you be a little more specific for example Manufacturer Part Number: F4-BE5-D559-T0 Bilstein 5100 Series this is the same Bilstein 5100 but designed for a 1996-2004 Toyota Tacoma

so i need a little more information. thanks

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”