What is "AUTO" mode really, vs. the 2WD and 4x4???

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

What do you leave your transfer case set to every day?

2WD always
75%
AUTO always
17%
4H always, I'm hard core.
1%
I wish I had a choice :-(
7%

Total votes: 145

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Thx volvite. Same here, just a beep with instant indicator lock, hence "intantaneous".
Weird, my 05 LE, which had the All Mode 4WD like our V8's, when switching from Auto to 4Hi the diff indicator would flash for a few seconds before staying solid.
Maybe the 08+ All Mode systems has a more improved TC control pump. Cool. 8)

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm

volvite wrote:On my 08 V8, when I switch from 2wd to Auto and from Auto to 4hi, all I here is a beep. Also from 2wd to Auto the indicator on the dash instantly shows power to the 4 wheels.
From Auto to 4Hi, does the center diff indicator on the dash instantly come on as well?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:21 pm

In 2wd only the rear two wheels are lighted up. When I turn from 2wd to Auto, there is a beep and the front two wheels on the display light up. Then when I go from Auto to 4hi there is a beep and the front wheels stay lit and the middle (trasfercase) lights up. When I put it in 4 low i hear a beep but the 4 lo will flash until I put the vehicle in neutral. Everything is instant except the 4 lo waiting for neutral.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 am

I agree with that, it's just a beep and the light is on. It's not like the part time transfer case where you click to 4H and see the light blinking until it's engaged. Also I had many times with my old Pathie where the drive line was under load and it wouldn't unlock until I straightened the truck out and coasted a bit. No such issues with the AUTO TC.

Olllie C

Postby Olllie C » Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 am

hi guys, thought id add my two cents to this, my diesel pf is used on twisty country roads and i have the full 'all mode' 4wd system. i dont know if your aware but ireland has famously crap roads !!

when in auto, the 4wd drive system is engaged ( i.e driving front wheels ) as the handling and turning characteristics are noticably different between 2wd and 'auto' mode. also acceleration from standing start has different dynamics to 2wd ( vehicle feels pulled rather than pushed ) i also use alot more fuel ( about 20% increase ) driving in 'all mode' i also use it alot when driving at constant 80+ mph on motorways in heavy rain and standing water, its very sure footed. in 'auto' mode the centre diff doesnt seem to lock over extreme mud or climbing, I've have always had to drop to 4lo to make progress.

I recently got my oils changed in my local Nissan garage, and while chatting with the guy he told me the pathy has one of the most expensive 4wd drive trains in production as it was originally marketed as a range rover competitor but the interior build missed the mark ( over here my pathy retails at about 70,000 euro new ). He said its basically the same principle as the gtr system and was developed with high performance and high speed over rough terrain but reinforced to facilitate the weights and loading tolerances put on the SUV over the coupe.

Also, im not sure if its known in the states, there is a very dangerous race in Europe called the paris-dakar , apparently alot of the camera crews and support vehicles are pathfinders and d40's with very little adaption except for higher lift and long range fuel tanks . there was also a series called 'long way down' where ewan mcgregor and charlie boorman drove motorcycles for 15,000 miles straight from scotland to cape town in south africa and they used a d40 pick ups to support them again with no problems. so it seems there is alot of confidence in the capabilities of the 4wd system in these vehicles.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Ollie C for the info.

It's a pretty kick-ass system. I have had the 4x4 All-Mode since the new Pathy came out in 05. I have gone to many a places since, you name it, and it has never let me down.

Too bad here in the US, you have to upgrade to the Premium LE or V8 in order to get it. The rest of the world gets the 4x4 All Mode standard on the 4x4 models. And we don't get the diesel
:evil:

forgottenzone

1/4 mile run

Postby forgottenzone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 pm

What mode then do guys use or would be better for 1/4 mile runs.
4x4 Hi, or Auto mode?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:33 am

for that I would go straight 2wd mode with no auto.

The Machinist

Postby The Machinist » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I just bought a 2006 SE and really wish I had the AUTO mode for wet pavement. I have already had a couple of occasions where I had to shift into 4H on wet pavement.

Has anybody ever upgraded a non-LE to the 4-mode system? I'm wondering how difficult it would be.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Well its a different transfer case for sure. Not sure if the logic is built into the BCM, but I doubt its as simple as changing the transfer case and the 4wd dial.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 pm

To me switching everything out would be a waist. For me it's 2wd or 4x4.

The Machinist

Postby The Machinist » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm

disallow wrote:Well its a different transfer case for sure. Not sure if the logic is built into the BCM, but I doubt its as simple as changing the transfer case and the 4wd dial.
Yeah, it may need to be programmed in the ECU for that matter. Probably too much work. This thing is going to see a lot of miles on wet or damp roads in the hills, so AUTO mode would have been nice.

Oh, well. I got a decent deal on it and there are not many Pathfinders around. I managed to escape the Honda Pilot and Toyota Sequoia, which were the other choices that my wife was interested in.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 pm

I can honestly say I've never used 4wd in wet weather. I've always found the ABLS and VDC did a good job of managing. I use 4wd only in snow or muddy offroad conditions.

Tires are a big part of handling wet roads. What are you running?

The Machinist

Postby The Machinist » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 pm

It has General Grabber AWs on it. My ballpark estimate is that the tread is a little less than halfway worn down. I have been running General high performance tires on my Passat and my old R32 and they have been great. Apples to oranges, I know, but I have gained a lot of respect for the brand, anyway.

The nature of driving around in this area is not normal. I drive a lot in a coastal mountain range that is covered by a redwood forest. The elevation is minimal, but the hills are steep. Sometimes you have to pull out onto the highway on blind turns. I did that on Saturday and spun the inside tire. Sometimes it is going from dirt to pavement. I actually got stuck turning around in a steep turnout with wet leaves and mud until I engaged 4WD. Then I had to disengage because I was pulling out onto a paved road. Hard to explain the unique conditions here. In any event, AWD would be great. Once I experienced it in my R32, I swore I would never buy another FWD car again.

At least the 4WD is instantaneous and very easy to use.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:40 am

Nice write up by the OP. I voted "wish I had a choice" as my PF is 2WD model and the only choice I have is a push button in between the heated seat buttons. Not sure what the button does does, something to do with traction I think as it has a picture of a car with two curvy lines behind the car.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”