Yokohama, Cooper, Pirelli?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

bbermann

Yokohama, Cooper, Pirelli?

Postby bbermann » Mon May 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Well, the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2 tires are worn down and noisy so it's time to look around again. Got about 50K out of them.

The Revos look badass and performed very well but they seemed to get noisy kinda fast and are also expensive. At this point I am focusing on these three (with Revos still in the running):
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Cooper Discoverer A/T3

I value the input of fellow forum members and would appreciate hearing about any experiience you might have with these.

Thanks

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I've always liked Coopers..I think the last set I had were AT2's..but they also got noisy rather early. They were always dirt cheap though so that was the bonus.

I don't buy tires for looks but my experience is Michelin is the only thing that's quiet for the long term. I've got 45k on this set of M/S2's and they are down to around 7/32nd. Two are worn bad on the edges though as I had a bad alignment issue awhile back. Plus I run the snot out of it. Still quiet though! If only you could cut down on the wind noise!

benca1

Postby benca1 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

check out the hankook dynapro atm .. one of the best tires out right now .. best reviews i have seen on a tire in probably 5 years .. really quiet great pattern .. and highly recommend them .. i am a tacomaworld.com member .. and we have literally 150 + members running them

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

benca1 wrote:check out the hankook dynapro atm .. one of the best tires out right now .. best reviews i have seen on a tire in probably 5 years .. really quiet great pattern .. and highly recommend them .. i am a tacomaworld.com member .. and we have literally 150 + members running them
These??? http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... ruck%2FSUV

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Last Consumer Reports I got listed the Cooper Discoverer and the Michelin LTX as the top tires for SUV's. I have the Michelin LTXs and they're a great tire, but they are expensive! "A" rated and a 720 treadwear rating; so far they're still quiet and wearing well.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

So far my Pathfinder has had 3 sets of tires.

Stock Generals - always sucked. Traction was poor in the wet, worse in the snow, and non-existent off the road. At 30K they were getting pretty worn and noisy.

I replaced them with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's you mentioned. They were a better tire, traction was REALLY good across the board. The only complaint I had with them was that they would flat spot a little when parked on a warm day that cooled down a lot overnight (think spring and fall) and took a couple of miles to smooth out in the mornings. I put 37K miles on them and then dumped them as they started to get a little loud and were getting pretty low on tread. I probably could have gotten 10K more out of them, but I use tires pretty hard (some off-road, some towing) and they were well past their prime.

I now have the Michelin LTX AT2's and have put about 35K miles on them. They have been nothing short of prefect. Wonderful traction in all conditions I've encountered, very smooth when at normal load and when towing my big boat, quieter than I'd have ever imagined a tire this aggressive being. They still drive and look VERY good. I'm sure they have lost some tread depth, but they still have a ton left, way more than 1/2. When you walk up to my truck, it looks like it has a fresh/new set of tires with no visible wear.

I'm totally sold on these tires. You get a fairly aggressive tire (it's not MT, but I've had it in some rough stuff and it has done REALLY well with everything I've put it through), that is smoother than the stock tires, quieter than the stock tires, and grips MUCH better under ALL road conditions than stock. Cost is really irrelevant, because they don't cost more than 2X the other options, but seem to last 2X as long.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 am

^^^I agree... If you pay an extra $50/tire and get almost double the mileage out of them, they pay for themselves over time. Two areas I don't mind spending a little extra to get something a little better is brakes and tires!

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 am

I've have about 10k on a set of Cooper AT3 in P265/70R17s. So far I'm not incredibly confident with the snow performance but we had a ridiculously light winter and I've grown accustomed to dedicated snows. Still they always got me through the white stuff to the slopes without issue this season. So far they've been the best tire I've had in the rain. Dry weather, they hold their own with the Toyo Open Country's (LT) I clocked 60k of pretty aggressive driving. So far they keep balance well, wear well and don't look half bad. I'm also using 17x9 aftermarket wheels so as always YMMV.

I'm still contemplating a set of studded 265/75r16 Duratreks for my winter boots... Then again I love to drive in the snow. I'm the same way about driving in a storm as I'm getting on by bike on a sunny day.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”