Custom roof basket

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

goblue90

Custom roof basket

Postby goblue90 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:00 am

I came up with some plans for a roof basket to sit in between the rails based on the Dephep racks for the Xterra (http://www.hepsdesigns.com/) and gave them to a welder in the area. I attached it to the roof rails using two 48" long 2 X 2 X 1/4" Aluminum brackets from metalsdepot.com (should've gone with 3 x 2 x 1/4" to drop it down lower), drilled holes to match the 4 pairs of holes in the rails (used for the cross bars), and painted everything with POR-15 and top-coated with Rustoleum bedliner. The total weight of the rack + brackets is 57lbs. I weigh 165lbs and sat on the rack after I installed it to add the D-rings and it was solid. Here's the final product...

Last edited by goblue90 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:14 am

8) Awesome job!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:34 am

Love it. I like how it stays low profile but still strong to hold the weight. Any chance you can post the info here on what was required to build it, and possible cost? That's awesome. :D

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

volvite wrote:Love it. I like how it stays low profile but still strong to hold the weight. Any chance you can post the info here on what was required to build it, and possible cost? That's awesome. :D
Thanks! Here's the breakdown:

Cost of steel (mainly 1" square tubing, 1/2" for the inside vertical bars, cross rails are u channels welded upside down, & wire used for floor) and welding = $175.

Two 2 X 2 X 1/4 x 48" Aluminum Angle 6061-T6 Aluminum Structural Angle from metalsdepot.com ~ $65 shipped ($25 each + $15 shipping).

Cost for other materials (1 pint of POR15; 2 cans of Rustoleum bedliner; 16 m10 x 1.5 x 25mm bolts; 16 flat washers; 16 lock washers; 10 D-rings; vinyl tubing to wrap around the d-rings under their brackets to keep them from bouncing up and down) ~ $50.

Again, if I were to do this over again, I'd get the 3 " x 2" x 1/4" aluminum structural angle brackets to drop the rack even lower between the rails.
Last edited by goblue90 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am

Very Nice. :D

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:12 pm

How is the wind-noise compared to stock with this set up? Basket looks great - very clean install!

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:51 pm

slavabon wrote:How is the wind-noise compared to stock with this set up? Basket looks great - very clean install!
I haven't had the opportunity to take it on the highway since I installed the roof basket, but will report back after I do. I suspect that without some type of fairing, I'll experience some wind noise from up top, especially after I add my 30" LED light bar to the front. :D I plan on mounting a transparent fairing (using 1/4" plexi or lexan) to help reduce wind noise after I mount the light. More to come on that later...

Update on wind noise: I took the Pathfinder up to 70mph on the highway this morning and didn't experience any more noticeable noise. :D

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Sun May 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Really like the rack it looks great. Any idea what the whole basket weighs? And what the factory rails can hold? I'm planning to build a all aluminum basket about double the length of yours.

edit - saw that it weighs 57lbs.

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:49 pm

You sir have inspired me, I am currently prepping a build for my own custom rack that will be similar to what you have made. I tried purchasing a budget rack previously and it just created a lot of wind noise and it was tiny as hell. I do have one question for you though, is there a reason you went with mounting it using angle rods rather than flush mounting it to the original rack (I.E. Bolting the rack straight into the rails)? This is what I am planning to work with, Also planning on pre-wiring the rack through the tube before welding with some easy plug & play for some roof lighting. Hopefully I hear back before beginning the project in case this is a structural issue.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Vividcard wrote:You sir have inspired me, I am currently prepping a build for my own custom rack that will be similar to what you have made. I tried purchasing a budget rack previously and it just created a lot of wind noise and it was tiny as hell. I do have one question for you though, is there a reason you went with mounting it using angle rods rather than flush mounting it to the original rack (I.E. Bolting the rack straight into the rails)? This is what I am planning to work with, Also planning on pre-wiring the rack through the tube before welding with some easy plug & play for some roof lighting. Hopefully I hear back before beginning the project in case this is a structural issue.
Hey vividcard,

Looking forward to see what you create. I used the angle rods to drop the rack below the rails. It never crossed my mind to bolt it directly to the rails. One thing to keep in mind is that the mounting holes in the rails don't follow a straight line from back to front, instead there's a slight arc. The easiest way to capture the spacing of the holes is to apply lipstick (either ask your wife to buy some from the dollar store or ask her if she has any old ones she doesnt like... Don't just take one from her collection) to them and press a 4' long 1 x 2 against the rails and you'll see the outlines of the holes on the 1x2. Keep us posted on your progress.

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

after beginning some extensive planning (gotta know how much steel I need)
It actually seems you may have made the smarter choice. Seeing as if I am to do what I am thinking I would have to run another Beam on both sides of the basket at about the middle to mount halfway into the rails (as you accomplished with the Angle Bars). However doing the beam would be more expensive AND much heavier. The only way around it that I could see is to have each vertical support at each bolt location. this seems like it would make the structure not as sound. But I guess I have until payday to figure it out. However I am thinking I might have to resort to your method of thinking

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:43 pm

looks awesome

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm

does anyone have the measurements across the Original rails, and farthest distance bolt to bolt for the rail patterns? I'm trying to Pre-fab in autocad or on paper before I start ordering materials

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”