Front suspension clunking on 2010 SE with 32K miles *FIXED*

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

slavabon

Front suspension clunking on 2010 SE with 32K miles *FIXED*

Postby slavabon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 am

I started hearing slight knock/clunk in front suspension when making a slow turn to the left on the uneven surface. Whenever the weight of the vehicle shifts over the front wheels due to uneven pavement/bumps i hear small metal clunk. This happens when travelling slow and making a turn (mostly left turn), but no problems when driving straight. It sounds like stabilizer bar bushings have gone bad on one side, but they appear to be fine upon visual inspection, plus the car is too new for worn out suspension I'd think. What do you guys think this could be? What else can I check?
Last edited by slavabon on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 am

did you look at the stabalizer bushings in the middle of the bar? Those are notorious for going bad premature. I think there was even an updated bushing recently. Mine were bad by 30k miles.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am

You are correct. The design of the sway bar bushing has been updated. The bushing on the left is the new design, and the one on the right is the old. The location of the slit was moved up so that the bushing will not deform as easily. They are about $10 a pair from the dealer.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm

derrmjd,
Thank you very much for taking time to reply and posting pictures. I took it in today for an oil change and asked them to check out sway bar bushings. Guy comes back and says he can't find a problem and that my old busings look ok. I went to the part counter asked them to pull the busings and they had new version in stock. I went back to the service advisor and asked him to put it in. He hesitated than agreed to do it and was eventually willing to do it per warranty. Problem solved! If I had not gotten this info from you regarding the bushing update, they would simply tell me there is nothing wrong and I would still be scratching my head. Thank you for your help!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Glad you got it fixed under warranty

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Another good reason to join forums. Glad it was fixed for free.

only1path

Postby only1path » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

good stuff...Im experiencing the same in the rear suspension after the lift install..

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 am

8) Good info

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 pm

After a few months of looking for the cause of this noise I was finally able to find the problem and get it sorted. As I have mentioned above - I would hear clunk when taking a turn when driving over a bump or uneven road surface - anything that would contribute to more flex on the frame. Dealership kept telling me all suspensiuon components are in good shape. Replacing sway bar bushings and front end-links did not get rid of the noise, though I though it made it quiter originally. After spending hours here, as well as Xterra, Frontier and russian Pathfinder club forums I figured its worth to check the front body mounts (bushing that go between your frame and body on the very front). These are impossible to trouble-shoot unless you take them off, but I as I found out mine were damaged and were making metal on metal contact with the frame, causing the clunking noise. They were tightened to spec (65 lbs/ft) but there was a very small amount of rubber that got worn off on the part of the mount that fits inside the frame and it was impossible to see unless you remove them and take them apart. You can see the damaged area in the pictures. First pic has one mount intact and the other on its side and taken apart:
This picture is a close up of where the damage was found:
Both units required replacement and were about $60 from Courtesy. To replace them, you have to partially remove your fender liners, unscrew the bolts on both mounts to give you more play (I even loosened the second set of the body mounts back on the frame to give it more play. Once replaced, torque them to 65 lbs/ft and things will be quiet again. I was only able to find one thread on the NewX.org discussing this - guy replaced one of the mounts and it took care of the clunking. Russian Pathfinder owners seem to be more aware of this issue - must be due to their bad roads that wer them out quicker. I saw a lot of folks on Frontier site replacing bushings, end-links, even struts to come back to the same problem. If you have front end clunk and your suspension is in good shape and your sway bar bushings and ens-links are OK, this is your culprit. This would apply to Pathfinders, Frontiers and Xterra's.
Last edited by slavabon on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickCR

Postby nickCR » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Great to hear you got this resolved! Turns out I have the same problem but when going over bumps.

Could you post up a link to courtesy or the part #'s so that I can order them. Thanks in advance!

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Part 95510M as shown in the diagram from courtesy:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder ... _6993.html

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:03 am

I will have to try replacing these. Ive got new suspension and have replaced everything else up front and have clunking sound going over bumps

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:36 pm

05pathyse wrote:I will have to try replacing these. Ive got new suspension and have replaced everything else up front and have clunking sound going over bumps
I just replaced mine. Havent drove it yet but they were shot!!

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am

I think it's our clunking is gone, based on that pic. These bushings are destroyed! It sucks that you can't really see their condition until you remove them. Once removed, you might as well put in the new set. But ipthis is an easy task, assuming you have already checked all other obvious things and everything checked out well ( while you still hear clunking).

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 pm

interesting, i'm having the same kind of noise i think. to me it sounds like the 'clunk' or knock you get when you power brake/load the transmission. i've looked at alot of things, but nothing seems worn. i'll have to check these out.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”