Beach driving newbie

Use that 4x4 switch on your Path and go get dirty!

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Beach driving newbie

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Okay, so I am going to get the permit that allows me to drive on the beach. I will get all the items the permit requires you to carry: jack, jack board, shovel, rope or tow straps. It is a 4wd truck, non-auto, running Goodyear Wrangler RS-A's with good tread. I will also bring a small compressor to air back up (how low should I go?).

Can anyone with experience give some advice or tips? Anything else I should bring with me? (besides beer).

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I can't believe nobody replied to this post. You guys are just going to let me get stuck in the sand, thanks brothers.

Just kidding.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:03 am

wow i must have missed this post.
first of all yes i hope you get stuck and take pix :D

driving on beach is relatively easy with the pathfinder. remember to deflate your tires to around 15-18 PSI if the sand is normal, and 10-12 if the sand is extra soft.
shovel is mostly useless unless u get stuck on an incline, cause when u get stuck on flat (beach), you're only gonna be extra tired from digging after you ask someone to pull you out. not worth the dig.

Rope - make sure you get a proper rated rope and shackle. i cannot stress this enough. i have seen shackles break loose and fly close to 100mph. thank god it hit the car and not a person. rope rating should be at least 3 times your vehicle weight. yes those crappy small ropes will do the trick once or twice until some bystander loses a bodypart.

if you are deflated and cut a corner quickly, your tire may pop out (off the rim). dont panic. jack it up, pour some water on the rim to clear the sand, and get the air compressor. turn it on, and pull on the tire outwards with ur hands until the air starts pumping it.

carry enough beer and water to keep you happy, and try not to go to an isolated area unless help is walking distance away (you never know what could happen). or take a friend with a 4x4. two vehicles can help each other out.
pathfinders dont really like salt water (well i guess no car does) so might wanna give it a good clean underwash when you're done to avoid rust.

enjoy.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Thank you very much Mar1.

I appreciate the advice.

I definitely plan to bring the items you recommend, in addition to a small old school hibachi to go with my nice cold beer.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 pm

i don't know what beach you plan to go on but I go out on smiths point a lot if you ever wanna tag along just send me a PM. Was out last night found some mud and got stuck! lol always wheel with a buddy!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm always out on smith point with my red 07 LE. never gotten stuck there yet. I air down to 16-18 psi and have never had a problem.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Sounds like a blast. As a boater, keep an eye the tides. I have seen too many people launch their boats and get the tow vehicle stuck, the tide comes in and the vehicle is a write off.

There are two ebb and two flood tides a day. The size of the tides and time of day changes every day. One tide swing may be only a few feet, the other tide swing can be very large, over 20 feet and come in very, very fast. Depends on local conditions. "Spring tides" are the largest tides and happen during a full or new moon. The local news paper should print the tides or the local Coast Guard Radio station should broadcast the tides in their weather reports. There are tide and current tables you can buy from a local marine store or use Mr. Google for the area you are going too.

Not sure what is like on Long Island but on the BC coast the water levels can swing almost 15 feet in a day.

Watch out for crabs and post some pictures, hopefully not stuck 8)

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 pm

NYPathfinder and Frozen.....I would definitely go with you guys but I never got my beach permit, and I believe the application window is now closed.....

Return to “Offroad Adventures”