excessive play in trailer hitch

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

jump n fish

excessive play in trailer hitch

Postby jump n fish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Ok, I've been asking a lot of elementary questions lately, but whats the deal with the receivers on these vehicles.

I'm planning a camping trip and just bought an 06 pathy to pull my camper. I went and got a Reese hitch today and and it fits way too loose in my opinion. I've got a solid 1/8" play when pushed all the way to one side or up or down. The pin seems like its close to that as well.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but this thing rattles pretty bad just going over bumps without the trailer attached. I can't imagine the racket its gonna make when I hit the brakes with the trailer attached.

Did Nissan engineer their own receiver to different specs so you had to buy some special hitch, or whats the deal.

The hitch on my friends Ranger has virtually zero play in it. I have no idea what to do here, and wondering if they're all like this. I can't imagine how bad this thing would bounce if I had a bike rack on the back of this thing.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:29 pm

My receiver has some play in it too. I've got the factory hitch and a Reese hitch ball. The play is side to side and up and down, not in and out so I don't have any issue while accelerating or braking. It just rattles when I go over bumps. I've got a Yakima bike rack and it doesn't rattle at all. It has a bolt instead of a pin so that keeps it from moving around.

jump n fish

Postby jump n fish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Yeah, with a little research, I guess 1/8" is pretty standard on most hitches and drives a lot of people crazy. I've seen a few devices out there that are supposed to eliminate this slop, but don't really have to time to order one before my trip. I'm guessing my friends Ranger had a special locking pin that helped eliminate this slop.

Might just have to get creative. Anybody have any easy fixes for this with around the house or inexpensive items. I've got to try something or I'll go insane after 1000 miles of listening to this.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 am

I've had this situation before but on a different vehicle. Once you have the trailer hooked up, you won't really notice the play. The weight of the trailer will help hold the hitch from moving around much.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

I had that problem too. Then I went and spent a few more $$ on a better drawbar, completely fixed the problem. Those cheap ones are built with bigger tolerances and it is worth spending the few extra to get a better fitting receiver.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

My experience on previous vehicle:
I left the hitch in place for a few months and it had rusted tight. Had to use a sledge hammer to get it off. So in the long run you will appreciate the slop you have.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 pm

If your draw bar has a hollow shank, you can use an anti-rattle kit instead of a standard hitch pin to attach it to your receiver.

Here's a locking one from Curt Manufacturing...
http://curtmfg.com/part/23590

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:12 pm

I would say a good quality draw-bar and locking pin would do the trick. I run with mine on all the time and it doesn't make a peep. Good to take it out every once in awhile. Even the good locking pin with a rubber cover over the lock was tough to turn this last time I removed.

tanz

Postby tanz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Drill a hole, up underneath, in the reciever part of your towbar. Then cut a thread into it and fit a bolt and nut to screw up against the hitch. That's what's on the Genuine bar here in Australia. Local stuff is metric 8mm x1.25 pitch, so your equivalent in the US would be 5/16" UNC.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:28 am

Hey IcedTeasley

Have you tried the Curt anti rattle kit? I have already invested in a good tow bar but still have some play side to side and front to back.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”