2005 wheel bearing replacement

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

martyf250

2005 wheel bearing replacement

Postby martyf250 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 am

i just got 4 new tires and had them check out a noise in the front end. Right front is fried and the left is starting to go. I think the bearings are pressed into the rotors? Anyone know of a write up on how to do this or should ijust take to the shop?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am

The front bearings are a unit bearing type. There are rather expensive but easy to replace. Disclaimer: I have not replaced a unit bearing on my Pathfinder but I have replaced a few on Jeeps and the process should be very similar. Going from memory...

1) Jack and support front of vehicle
2) Remove wheel
3) Remove brake caliper and secure out of the way with wire or a bungee cord so that the brake line is not damaged
4) Remove rotor (may require persuasion from a hammer)
5) Remove cotter pin from axle shaft and remove nut using an impact wrench
6) Remove the 3 bolts holding the unit bearing to the steering knuckle (again a hammer may be needed)
7) Install new unit bearing
8) Installation is reverse of removal (be sure to use anit-seize on all contact surfaces to make any future repairs much easier)

disallow
Site Admin

Re: 2005 wheel bearing replacement

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:17 am

martyf250 wrote:i just got 4 new tires and had them check out a noise in the front end. Right front is fried and the left is starting to go. I think the bearings are pressed into the rotors? Anyone know of a write up on how to do this or should ijust take to the shop?
Not pressed in, just friction fit.

Totally doable in a couple hours yourself.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”