Maxima owner now also Pathfinder owner

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

MaxiPath

Maxima owner now also Pathfinder owner

Postby MaxiPath » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Hey guys I'm new here and not sure if this is where I'd post an introduction thread IF you guys need one at all.

Names John I'm 21, been driving a 1993 Maxima GXE for two years and belonged to Maxima.org for those two years prior to getting pushed away by ignorance. I'm fairly good with cars and have done all of the work on my Max on my own along with the gfs dads help (30 year retired mechanic)

Picked up a black 1994 Pathfinder SE-V6 from work (I work at JY) guy was junking it cuz alternator was "no good". I checked why the car didnt start without a jump and appearently the belts arent being driven at all, the crank pulley is OFF the engine just kinda hanging.

Its got 89k miles on it, heated leather, sunroof, appearantly sonar suspension, I guess this is considered loaded right?

When battery is jumped, it starts up like a dream and idles nice and smooth along with smooth quick reving. I havent left it on for more than 5 minutes as the belts arent turning and I'm afraid of letting it heat up.

First thing before driving car:
Gonna check if the nut/bolt that holds crank pulley simply was loose and came off..if so will proceed with following new as it looks a lot easier on the pathy than it was on my max and on the gfs, yes she's got an 89 max
-tbelt
-waterpump
-tstat
-crank seal
-cam seals
-all new drive belts
-full tune up

Here's a few pics of my new pathy

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Sweet looking ride Maxi, during your mechanical checkout have the mechanic pop off the oil sump and if you have built up carbon deposits you might want to think off how to fix those in your engine. :|

Welcome to the forum. :)

Gray

Postby Gray » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Sweet looking ride Maxi, during your mechanical checkout have the mechanic pop off the oil sump or one of the front cover plates such as for the timing belt and if you have built up carbon deposits you might want to think of how to get rid of those in your engine. :|

MaxiPath

Postby MaxiPath » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Greybrick wrote:Sweet looking ride Maxi, during your mechanical checkout have the mechanic pop off the oil sump or one of the front cover plates such as for the timing belt and if you have built up carbon deposits you might want to think of how to get rid of those in your engine. :|

Thanks for the tip but there wont be a mechanic checking it out, it'll be me doing all the work. So what are common problems with pathfinders? I'm a maxima guy and I know what usually goes wrong with those but not too familiar with the pathy's just yet. I'm sure the exhaust studs, injectors, MAFs are all common probs like the maximas VG

MaxiPath

Postby MaxiPath » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm

Alright so I took the fan blades and housing off today to see if the crank pulley was simply loose or if the crankshaft was actually broken and to my benefit...the 28mm bolt was simply loose. I tightened and gave the battery a jump and voila! starts up and idles at 950 rpms solid.

Will be replacing push bar, hood, and bumper for better ones from work tomorrow.

This pathy is gonna look awesome when I'm done with it 8)

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”