Difference & Avantages of Radflo 2.0 rear shocks

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Difference & Avantages of Radflo 2.0 rear shocks

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am

I see 2 options from 4x4parts.com

1 option = 200$ for a set of rear emulsion shocks.
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/radflo- ... -6607.html

The other, = 275 per shock and a remote reservoir.
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/radflo- ... -6606.html

What's the difference and advantages of each, and why the extreme price difference? Do they both provide additional travel whee equipped with a lift (0-2.5")?

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 am

Not 100% on what the emulsion is other than I think it is a mixture of foam cell and oil/nitrogen in the shock. Nitrogen stops the oil foaming and I think the foam cell gives a softer ride, so a bit of a compromise I think.

Remote reservoir have a separate canister than contains extra oil joined by a hose to the shock. This allows obviously more oil capacity with helps to dissipate heat better when used hard. Looks like they are adjustable by adding more/less nitrogen to change damping effect. Only really required if you are doing heavy offroading or driving along bumpy tracks for long periods of time.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:43 am

Ahh, makes sense there.

Another question though, which one of those 2 give extended travel?

From the description, looks as if the remote reservoir unit does, but the descriptions usually leave something to be desired.

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:48 pm

I can't answer that sorry.

You would have to ask them. I would of thought if any it would only be 0.5"-1" more travel. Not huge difference

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 am

NmexMAX wrote:Ahh, makes sense there.

Another question though, which one of those 2 give extended travel?

From the description, looks as if the remote reservoir unit does, but the descriptions usually leave something to be desired.
I don't think either one does. Stock shocks can be used for 0" to 1.5" of lift or so. You'd have to contact Radflo and ask about their shocks specificially. I know if you swap out control arms up front that you can gain a bit more travel, but not sure about the rear.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 am

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up, appreciated.

Now for my next question.

What's the difference between the rear emulsion shocks on 4x4parts.com https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/radflo- ... -6607.html

And the items on PRG products website, aside from the ~170$ difference?

http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product ... on_shocks/

Is it because PRG builds and valves them for a specific application? As in people who tow a lot, carry a lot of cargo, highway driving, wheeling,etc?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:30 am

Interesting & no clue whatsoever. I'd normally say that the mfr would obviously charge more via their site, but that price difference is pretty big. Give them a call. I think that is the only real way you are going to get some concrete answers to your questions.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 am

I can help a bit here. According to Radflo's website, the rear emulsion and rear remote-reservoir have the same amount of shock travel. I know it's more than stock, but only slightly.

See the nissan section...
http://radflo.com/oe_app.htm

Also, the emulsion shocks and remote-reservoir shocks both use a nitrogen charged oil bath (aka "the emulsion") for dampening purposes. The only effective difference between the two is that the remote-res version has a larger oil volume that helps dissipate heat created by heavy off-road use. If you plan on using your PF for desert racing or other high speed off-roading, you should use remote-res shocks. For standard off-road use and daily driving the emulsion shocks are more than adequate. The ride is the same due to identical valve tuning between both shocks. Either version can be further adjusted internally by changing out the valve shims to change both rebound and compression independently. All Radflo shock and coilovers are fully rebuildable and adjustable.

As to why Radflo gear cost more from PRG... Greg buys/tunes custom valved units for our Nissans. If you want Radlfo goodies, call PRG. Greg is hard to reach but always takes the time to make sure you get exactly what you need. He knows Nissans.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:01 pm

I can add a little more info to this as well since my pathfinder was used to design and test the rear shocks, and I have used both for a while.

You guys are right about the emulsion where the nitrogen gas is mixed with the oil. The high pressure of the nitrogen prevents the oil from cavitating thus providing a consistent rate of dampening. However, during hard use (like off-road racing) there still is a tendency for the oil to cavitate causing bubbles, build up heat, and start to fade. However, the aluminum body of the Radflos help dissipate the heat better.

The remote reservoir does NOT use a nitrogen charged oil bath. The nitrogen and oil are completely separated by an internal floating piston (IPF), hence the remote reservoir contains the nitrogen and houses the IPF. This leaves the whole shock body to just contain pure oil. Radflo uses a real good racing oil in all their shocks. This completely eliminates any bubbling effect from any cavitation, and more oil volume helps in cooling. Also, the whole shock body can be used for the full stroke, hence you can get more wheel travel. This is where the cost difference is. BUT, I seriously doubt the emulsion shocks are $100/shock. I believe it's around $175/shock, so 4x4 parts may have it mislabled.

Both Radflo shocks however have excellent velocity sensing valves that is very comfortable on the highway, and handles great off-road.

All front shocks for the Pathy are IPF shocks (not emulsion). The nitrogen and oil are separated by an internal floating piston.

In terms of wheel travel, and I know this for a fact since it was my specs with Radflo, both shocks will indeed give you a bit more wheel travel. The emulsion will give you about 9" travel (from 7.5" stock) and the remote reservoir will give you just a tad bit more than 10". I don't know why Radflo has both shocks the same length. Look here for the difference:

Looks are deceiving. It may not appear to be much difference, but because of the motion ratio (the way the our shocks are angled), we get about 1.5" wheel travel to every 1" of shock travel.
One last thing though. In order to get the full wheel travel when off roading, you MUST have the aftermarket coils, preferably the OME or the Eibachs since the original one are a bit too short, AND you must disconnect the sway bars, which is an easy 3 minute job.

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:36 pm

If using the remote reservoir for the rear of the PF, do they come with a bracket to mount the reservoir to the shock body or somewhere else, or is it a custom fit?

I am just about to order Chaos Fab UCA's with the Radflo coilovers for front, have OME extended rear springs and airlift 1000's for rear. Looking at my rear shock options and thinking I will go the remote reservoir. Just wondering where the remote reservoir can be fitted.

Pick up my Aussie PF next week so will have a look then but just seeing what others are doing

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Dingo wrote:If using the remote reservoir for the rear of the PF, do they come with a bracket to mount the reservoir to the shock body or somewhere else, or is it a custom fit?

I am just about to order Chaos Fab UCA's with the Radflo coilovers for front, have OME extended rear springs and airlift 1000's for rear. Looking at my rear shock options and thinking I will go the remote reservoir. Just wondering where the remote reservoir can be fitted.

Pick up my Aussie PF next week so will have a look then but just seeing what others are doing
I'll take pictures where I mounted mine tomorrow morning and will post them for you here. I see you're down under so it will be your early morning.

Dingo

Postby Dingo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 am

Thank you I would appreciate that. Will have a look when I wake up.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”