Bulk Buy for Rocky-Road Super Sliders

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:35 am

I ended up having my sliders shipped. They arrived yesterday and are sitting in a huge box in my garage. Looking forward to installing these soon.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:15 pm

1st attempt at installing one side was a complete failure. I'll have pics tomorrow, too tired today.

the instructions say there's a longer side and shorter side (front/back), however mine look identical on each end (and between both of them).

not sure if it's supposed to be this way, but on both rails one side (and mirrored on the other) has the flat piece that goes up against the frame and is bent slightly, towards the outside of the car. not sure why, as the frame is perfectly straight in front and back.

judging by the way to install them (as described), it actually scraped the front and rear rocker panel. also, it seems damn near impossible to get them leveled (as in looking from the back to the front, and getting them leveled left to right). one of the arms seemed to still hang down a good 1/2 - 1in below the frame.

i was only able to get the front two screws aligned/in on one rail and just couldn't seem to get the rear two in.

not sure that i'll attempt again tomorrow, but maybe later in the week. can't call rocky road since they're closed on weekends.

i'm not sorry i bought them as they do look pretty awesome, just frustrated that it seems they're alot harder to do than i thought. plus they're heavy as hell so trying to hold one while trying to align a bolt is a pain, even with a jack/jackstand.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 am

here's the pic of the bend in the mount. is anyone elses like this? like i said it's on one side of each of the rails.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 am

Good morning Doc,

I did a dry run yesterday to see how everything would go. If you measure from the very tip of the rail, to the mounting arm, there is a .75" difference in length from 14.5" to 15.25". I couldn't tell, without measuring.

The instructions do mention that you may need to push the mounting plate into place and would be quite snug. You could use a jack or hammer, to tap into place. I am definitely going to need to tap it into place. Mine is quite snug but I expected it should based on it's function.

As for the bend in the mounting plate, mine are also angled/bent. I was assuming this may have happened during shipping because I do not see any reason for this. They are pretty damn heavy and you just don't know if someone dropped them. I expect I can work around this however.

It's a dark rainy day here, in Vancouver and the only plans are to mount the rails.

The sticker looks easy to install though. :)

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:33 am

Oly 22 wrote:Good morning Doc,

I did a dry run yesterday to see how everything would go. If you measure from the very tip of the rail, to the mounting arm, there is a .75" difference in length from 14.5" to 15.25". I couldn't tell, without measuring.

The instructions do mention that you may need to push the mounting plate into place and would be quite snug. You could use a jack or hammer, to tap into place. I am definitely going to need to tap it into place. Mine is quite snug but I expected it should based on it's function.

As for the bend in the mounting plate, mine are also angled/bent. I was assuming this may have happened during shipping because I do not see any reason for this. They are pretty damn heavy and you just don't know if someone dropped them. I expect I can work around this however.

It's a dark rainy day here, in Vancouver and the only plans are to mount the rails.

The sticker looks easy to install though. :)

hah about the sticker. hum, i'll measure to the mounting arm then. might have screwed up since i already drilled one set of holes though :shock:

i rotated my tires last night so now i'm going to reset tpms and then onto round 2 of my install attempt (with pics)

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Got them on and they look great. To dark to take pictures so I am having a Guinness or two and just starring.

guinnessjim

d'oh! missed it

Postby guinnessjim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:03 pm

that'll teach me to visit more often....

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:41 pm

Oly 22 wrote:Got them on and they look great. To dark to take pictures so I am having a Guinness or two and just starring.
We need pictures.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:56 pm

got mine finished today. uploading pics now :)

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:38 pm

after a bath

pre-bath:

my my how my little pathy has been progressing. this is the closest to stock pic i can find i think. i flipped the top one so it was the same direction as my current, so that's why the v8 is backwards.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Left this morning (Sunday) for a business trip to into the Kootenay's. Hope to have pictures posted by next weekend.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 am

man, those look good....still kicking myself for missing the bulk buy

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 pm

My Super Sliders installed (I will take some pictures after she's clean too).

What your pant legs when you get out :wink:

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey Doc, did you plastic dip the sliders?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 pm

nah, used spray on bedliner

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”