2013 Pathfinder Why did Nissan do this?

Any topics related to 2013+ R52

Moderator: volvite

borninabarn

2013 Pathfinder Why did Nissan do this?

Postby borninabarn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 am

Not Much excitement for the new 2013 Pathfinder? I guess no more lift kits,Grille Guards,Mud Tires and 4 wheelin.Not a truck anymore.
http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-motor-tr ... UVNSPF1012

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:56 am

I would suggest that the Pathfinder has always been 90% sold to people who never off-road, so it's off roading abilities was more a marketing angle than a technical necessity for the market segment.

However things have shifted, buyers are more concerned about MPG than ground clearance, plus the feds are pushing much higher MPG standards, so continuing things as they were before became a much harder proposition.

I *wish* they instead would put effort into bringing their Diesel motor over for better MPG, or even adding some Hybrid tech...

-c

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am

RacerZX wrote:I would suggest that the Pathfinder has always been 90% sold to people who never off-road, so it's off roading abilities was more a marketing angle than a technical necessity for the market segment.

However things have shifted, buyers are more concerned about MPG than ground clearance, plus the feds are pushing much higher MPG standards, so continuing things as they were before became a much harder proposition.

I *wish* they instead would put effort into bringing their Diesel motor over for better MPG, or even adding some Hybrid tech...

-c
where's the like button for this comment :)

gear1975

Postby gear1975 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 am

Agreed with this. I feel the same way as borninabarn about the 2013 PF, but I haven't seen one in person yet, just photos/videos.

A hybrid R51 would have been a cool option.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 am

gear1975 wrote:Agreed with this. I feel the same way as borninabarn about the 2013 PF, but I haven't seen one in person yet, just photos/videos.

A hybrid R51 would have been a cool option.
Back when I bought my Durango in 2001 or 2002, the only reason I bought it (leased) was because they were developing a hybrid version. I figured I would wait a couple years, then turn in the V8 for the hybrid. They totally scrapped the idea, which was in my favor because the Durango was a POS. That's the last time I listen to mfrs.

Everyone has been super reluctant to release a hybrid here. Of the SUV hybrids available, none of them are supposed to go off road. I'm with Carl, they need to start releasing high mpg diesel models here.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am

Hybrids are a waste of time. I actually work for a company that builds hybrid vehicles, and having seen the data on the following factors, would never consider buying one:

1. Life Cycle Cost of batteries. (including end user cost as well as the cost to the environment)
2. Fuel economy does not pay for premium.
3. Cold weather performance is abysmal. (Yes I live in Winnipeg)

That and the fact that the manufacturer of the hybrid unit for our vehicles actually states there is no real financial or environmental reason to actually buy one of these.

I'm with NVSteve and Carl, bring on a medium displacement I-4 or V6 diesel to the North American market that gets 30+ MPG. Kind of like what they are talking about for the 2014 Titan, as I posted in the link below:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

At least we still have the Frontier, hopefully Nissan doesn't Ridgeline it!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:24 am

Anyone here vote for Obama and complaining about the new PF? Just curious :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm

skinny2 wrote:Anyone here vote for Obama and complaining about the new PF? Just curious :wink:
Yes and yes. It's all Nissan and the current market trends, however.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:01 pm

NVSteve wrote:
skinny2 wrote:Anyone here vote for Obama and complaining about the new PF? Just curious :wink:
Of course the CAFE standards have nothing to do with it. Can't wait to see what we get to pick from in a few more years. A Prius for everyone! Indeed.

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 am

You guys can always buy an x

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 am

yellowbug wrote:You guys can always buy an x
Or a full size truck. CAFE doesn't require anywhere near the mpg as the Pathfinder. Makes sense huh? :roll:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am

skinny2 wrote:
NVSteve wrote:
Of course the CAFE standards have nothing to do with it. Can't wait to see what we get to pick from in a few more years. A Prius for everyone! Indeed.
I'm not going to get into a political pissing match on this one. Yes, CAFE has an impact, but Nissan could easily have had a better redesign that would have kept at least some of the old Pathfinder prowess. All the interviews say the same thing: people want family-friendly crossover vehicles now. If you don't follow the market, you lose.

IF the Xterra ends up being redesigned, mpg will have to improve, but it will also have to remain true to the whole X concept of being the rugged, go anywhere vehicle of the younger crowd.

drevildog

lousy decision

Postby drevildog » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

I agree
this new pf is to low to the ground, so useless for off roading. The commercial is misleading. it's looks don't appeal to me either. and it's a front wheel/ 4 wheel drive.
Nissan decided to alienate us loyal pathy owners. And grab the suburban crowd that never take their vehicles off the pavement.
So that being said, my next choice will be the x-terra, providing Nissan doesn't screw that one up.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm

The Xterra has taken the role of what was originally the Pathfinder's back in 1986. At least we still have one "real" SUV. That said, I'm sure someone will come along sooner or later with a suspension lift kit for the 2013 Pathfinder and throw some big tires on it, whether we want it or not! :wink: Remember the R50 is a unibody, as well...

Return to “R52 General Chat”