Losing air and TPMS on '08 S

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

bpc2646

Losing air and TPMS on '08 S

Postby bpc2646 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

Anyone experience their tires losing air constantly? They are BF Goodrich tires, not sure the exact type. The TPMS light is eternally on as well. Even when the tires are inflated to a proper psi. The sensors in a few wheels have been replaced and the issue still persists. Any ideas?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:04 am

might be a dumb answer, but did you try changing the valve?

not the valve stem, just the valve itself.

also get a bucket of soapy water, and wash the tires, check if you see any bubbles coming out from somewhere to identify the leak. shouldnt be that difficult.

normally, the TPMS light will stay on after you inflate. drive a shot distance and it should turn off by itself.
do you have the built-in screen to check the pressure of each tire?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:19 am

Did you have the new sensors "waken up" and ID registered to the BCM after you replaced them? If not, the TPMS light will always keep coming on. An activation tool and scan tool are required.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 pm

smj999smj wrote:Did you have the new sensors "waken up" and ID registered to the BCM after you replaced them? If not, the TPMS light will always keep coming on. An activation tool and scan tool are required.

actually an activation tool is not -required-, at least on my '08.

i've used this method twice since putting my spare into tire rotation.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40601

from above link:
Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact (or try your best to reach those psi, I was off a little but I was able to successfully reset the TPMS):

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 34)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 31)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 29)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 26)

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.I found mine 4 inches up and to the left inside the fuse box near your left knee.It is very short versus other vehicles I looked at.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug. ( I attached it through the back since it was easier for me)
I attached it through the back Since it's a lot easier for the paper clip to make contact with the bare wire.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts.Or push the push start button twice. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition on.Make sure it is a real ground and not just any metal you find.

I just tapped it to the metal that's holding the OBDII port. Even though it's not grounded as mentioned in the instruction it worked for me. So it should work for you too ;D.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes and then stays solid after a minute then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes but for me I drove for 1 to 2 miles and it turned off.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure.

My lights turned off for a couple of minutes but when I continued driving it turned back on and stayed solid. This means your halfway done! Just put your tires back to the proper psi and then your good to go. I was surprised at how fast my solid lights turned off after refilling my tires with air and then driving down a couple houses. I've also experienced times where I needed to drive for 15 miles till the lights turned off.

Note:
If your TPMS lights are flashing, it doesn't mean your TPMS sensors are broken. It's just not syncing with the TPMS system. I was driving on the highway and all the sudden it started blinking. It stayed that way for a couple minutes and then turned solid. When I researched lots of people said this is a sign that a TPMS sensor has malfunctioned. But, I managed to connect the TPMS sensors using the TPMS reset procedure.
If your TPMS lights are blinking even after the TPMS reset procedure, most likely your not doing the procedure properly or one or more of your tpms sensors are broken.
The first time I did this reset procedure my lights stayed solid even after filling my tires to the proper psi. I did the TPMS reset procedure again and it worked.
Your spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor unless you installed one.
The TPMS runs on battery and has a rated 7 year life.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

True, you don't need the activation tool to register the location, but you will need it to "wake up" a new TPMS sensor. New sensors are sold in "sleep mode" to keep the battery from going bad. The activation tool sends a low frequency signal to "wake up" the brand new sensor, which must be done prior to the ID initialization process.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:42 am

smj999smj wrote:True, you don't need the activation tool to register the location, but you will need it to "wake up" a new TPMS sensor. New sensors are sold in "sleep mode" to keep the battery from going bad. The activation tool sends a low frequency signal to "wake up" the brand new sensor, which must be done prior to the ID initialization process.

ahhh gotcha. when i got my 5th tpms sensor for my spare at discount tire they must have activated mine when the mounted it in the rim. maybe the OP can swing by there one day to have them resync it. at least at my DT store they'll do it for free since i bought my tires there.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I've been looking at a TPMS trigger tool that should work on the Nissan TPMS sensors. Since I already have access to a scantool that can communicate with the TPMS system, and have several Nissans that I own or work on with TPMS, it might be a convenient tool to have for $80:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/det ... %2BSystems

I've also been debating on this one for $169, which works on both 315 MHz & 434 MHz sensors and offers a lot more features:

http://www.devildogtools.com/kkttptiinp ... -KTI71990A

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Nice thread. Good info to know smj999smj

JimsPath

Postby JimsPath » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

I had TPMS on my Altima. They all started to corrode and leak where it went into the wheel itself.

The guy at the tire shop said he sees it all of the time. Two different type of materials will lead to it.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”