Signs before transmission failure

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

pathfindertexas

Signs before transmission failure

Postby pathfindertexas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 am

Hey guys, I was just wondering what signs there are before the transmission fails.

Thanks !

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I think this is part of the problem. It's very difficult to see signs *before* your transmission fails. I've been monitoring my ATF for a while now. The problem is this:

Your transmission holds a lot of fluid. Around 10-11 quarts. All that fluid is circulated and caught inside the intricate components of the transmission, torque converter, clutch packs, gears etc... This is why you change only about 4 quarts when you drain and refill the ATF.

If the radiator has a tiny crack and is leaking into the transmission, it's going to get sucked right into the transmission and into those crevices. You may not see anything in the dip stick for a little while.

That being said, by the time you feel your transmission having problems; most of the time it's too late. There is already enough coolant in there to cause a problem (it doesn't take much). And you may not see it in the dipstick.

From what I've been reading on these forums. There is another complication. Because your transmission is so complex there a wide variety of problems which could manifest itself due to the contamination. Ranging from:

Loss of power
Erratic shifting
Noise
Slipping gears
Hard shifting

Even these can be difficult to keep track of 100%. For example, you may not realize loss of power due to the transmission not shifting into a later gear properly simply because you get used to just smashing the throttle early on, until you realize later that you need to give it more and more gas to correct.

Or you may not notice erratic shifting simply because you don't see feel any hard shifting. The transmission may not want to shift into gear and when it does it doesn't slam into them so you brush it off as a minor glitch.

I'm not a mechanic by any means and welcome anyone to correct anything I've mentioned. But I'm just trying to make a point that it's difficult to see any concrete tell tale signs of *upcoming* failure. Once you see a problem, most of the time it's too late.

pathfindertexas

Postby pathfindertexas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow well thank you for all the information. I actually just got a used 2008 pathfinder with 30,000 miles on it. I never noticed anything wrong on my test drives at the dealershilp but upon getting it home and driving it a little more I noticed a vibration when I come to a stop. It only happens when I go 45+ mph and come to a stop light or stop sign. If I go slow, say in a neighborhood, it won't do it. I'm concerned there is something major wrong with it.

glockshooter

Postby glockshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Mine had a shudder in it when it wanted to shift out of overdrive. About 1100 rpm (I think), really let it bog down, and it would shudder bad. I thought it was the torque converter, could do it on command, dealership said it was the transmission.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Not sure if it's the same as your problem, but there were issues with 2008's when cruising at speeds between 25-45 mph and then slightly applying the throttle, the trans will "clunk." There was a TSB on the issue instructing to reprogram the ECM with an updated program.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks. My 2008 has the clunk. When I read the TSB description, I knew immediately.

Now the other noise i'm trying to diagnose, is more of like a click when shifting from first to second gear after just starting the vehicle. It only does it on that first shift, and I never hear the noise again until after the car sits overnight, then I start it up and drive the next day.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm

dell30rb wrote:Thanks. My 2008 has the clunk. When I read the TSB description, I knew immediately.

Now the other noise i'm trying to diagnose, is more of like a click when shifting from first to second gear after just starting the vehicle. It only does it on that first shift, and I never hear the noise again until after the car sits overnight, then I start it up and drive the next day.
That's likely the ABS system self-check you're noticing.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 pm

thanks again

its like a metallic click. The ABS check would explain it.

I have just a few short squawks with the vehicle that need to be ironed out in my first week of ownership. Have thankfully already figured out putting tape on the hood latch.

The remaining issues are covered by TSB/recall.

I'll need to see if this vehicle has had the fuel sensor replaced. Bought it with a full tank of gas, when it hit 3/4 tank I topped it off and it took 9 gallons. This truck has a 20 or 21 gal tank correct?

Finally it does definitely have the clunk described in the TSB, remedy which is apparently a computer program update which I assume must be done by a dealer. For what its worth I thought it was worn engine/trans mount(s) Will the computer update cost me anything? If so, what is the standard price?

I'm skeptical because I had a 1996 grand cherokee with a bad PCM. The dealer wanted $400 in labor for the install and reprogram. I researched it on my own and found that it did not need reprogramming and I put in a junkyard PCM in less than 15 minutes and the truck ran fine for another 70,000 miles.

BTW I see you have the michelin LTX M/S2 tires. I got a brand new set of M/S2's and an alignment on the pathfinder the day after I bought it. great tires, last forever, quiet and do well in the rain.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Dealer wants 130 for the ECM reprogram. Thinking about having it done and Submitting to nissan goodwill for the hopes of reimbursement. Truck only has 60k miles. Thoughts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm

When I worked for Nissan (I left in 2003), ECM reprogramming under warranty used the ECM part number for the "PFP" or "Primary Failed Part." This meant the warranty for ECM programing was the same as it would be for the ECM, which is covered under the long-term emissions warranty, which is 7 years/70000 miles. I've had disagreements with service writers in the past who thought the ECM reprograming was covered under 3 yr/36000 mile warranty, only to have them find out they were wrong. Here's the problem: a Nissan service dept. will rarely perform a repair and cover it under warranty just because you bring in a TSB and say that you have that problem and it should be under warranty. You will need to bring your vehicle to the dealer and describe them your problem and let them know about the TSB (wouldn't hurt to bring a copy of the TSB or at least have the TSB #). They will likely get you to authorize an hour's labor time to look into (diagnose) the concern. If they deem the problem is the same as it is in the TSB and covered under warranty, then you should be charged nothing. If they deem that the problem is not the same as that in the TSB, or that it is and not covered under warranty, you will be responsible for the hour's diagnostic labor and would be presented with an estimate to complete the repair. At most shops, the hour's labor will be deducted from the total cost of the repair if you have that shop perform said repair.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:25 pm

thanks again, I am under 7yrs and 70,000 mi so lets see what happens...

EDIT reading the booklet, the federal emissions control warranty has the ECM under warranty to 80,000 mi and 8yrs

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 am

I believe Federal emissions warranty is 8 yr/80000 mi and the California emissions warranty is 7 yr/ 70000 mi. If you're not sure which you have, there's a sticker in your engine compartment or under your hood that will tell you.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”