Thinking about painting rims? Anyone ever do it?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Clay350

Thinking about painting rims? Anyone ever do it?

Postby Clay350 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am

I really want to make my rims a dark color like a graphite black or something. I have been exploring my options. I read the post by Tntitan and really liked his results. I looked into powder coating locally and it would run me $500 plus a huge hassle because they would need the rims for over a week. Has anyone ever tried painting there rims with one of the so called "professional" kits like this one?

http://www.rimpainter.com/

Thanks

Clay

cgray

Postby cgray » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:02 am

I used plasti-dip on my rims and it turned out really good. Plus is only $6 a can and it only took 3 cans to do this to my Path. Including the grill and all the chrome on the rear hatch.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

I think it would look great on your color.

I've also thought about it, but I'm not so sure on silver.

Anyhow, these are the wheels just like yours IIRC. This is member motorkaz from this thread: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7767

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:55 pm

How long has it been since you painted them? Do you think a clear coat after you pain them would help or look better? I actually like the painted rims you posted better than I thought I would? Time to start looking for paint.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:12 am

Mine have been done for a few months now and still look great. I have been off roading and scrubbed with a brush to get clean and dont have any issues or pealing. The plasti-dip comes in a few other colors if you go to thier website. The matte black is the most common and can be found at any hardware store.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 pm

i might be plastidip'ing my rims tomorrow.....i think i like the look of it. and if not it's easy to get off :)

also, i was thinking about doing like a 1in line at the bottom of the body in between the front and rear tires....

cgray

Postby cgray » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am

Doctahjones: they sell it in clear as well if you are just looking to protect the body with the strip of it between the wheels.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 am

nah i want my rims to be black.

anyone have any problems with it coming off when getting your tires rotated at discount tire or something?

I'll be needing a tire rotation in about a month or so and i don't want to have to redo it because some monkey at the tire shop messed it up.

09pathinbk

Postby 09pathinbk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm thinking of painting mine flat black as well. What kind of prep work does the plastidip require? If I wanted to spray them what kind of sandpaper should I use to scratch up the clear coat.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:03 am

i wouldn't sandpaper your rims at all!

just wash the rims. i took mine off and used a kitchen sponge. for inside the rim (the part you don't normally see) i used the scouring side of the sponge, but for the outside (the part you do see) i used the soft side. you don't want to scratch any of the surfaces that you'll see. the plastidip will attach no problem to clearcoat/etc.

i've had mine done for awhile now. haven't had any chips or anything.

fidelcastrol

Postby fidelcastrol » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:11 am

Hey cgray, loving the bull bar and lights, who makes them, and do you lose the use of you front tow hook to mount it?

forgottenzone

Powdercoat

Postby forgottenzone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I powdercoated mine, its a uv resistan poly powdercoating, very strong stuff you would have to hit it with the hammer to brake it.
I have them done for over a year now Mirror Black and they shine still like new.
It was $80 per wheel. I did all 5
Here is one of my picks on the pathfinder. i used Rastolium applianceblack paint. it matched the podewrcoat exact. you can get it in loews/home depot.
only thing thats same is the chrome Nissan sign.

Here is the Spare wheel pic:

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”