My message to Nissan's Facebook moderator

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

My message to Nissan's Facebook moderator

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Recently, Nissan's Facebook page wished everyone a happy New Year and I posted the comment that if Nissan wanted to make the owner's of 2005-2010 Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers happy, they should initiate a campaign to replace the faulty radiators. They asked me to send them a private message so they can forward it to someone who can address my concerns. This is what I sent them:

"Hi Stephen - thanks for reaching out to us. I'd like to connect you with someone who can address your concerns. Can you please private message us your contact information and VIN so we can follow up with customer support? Thank you - Sarah R, Nissan Social"

VIN# 5N1AR18W36CXXXXXX
STEPHEN M. JONES
XXXXXXXXXXXX RD.
PROSPECT, VA 23960
[email protected]

Sarah,
I left Nissan in October of 2003 as a certified Nissan Master Technician. I no longer work for Nissan but have been a long time customer. I currently have a 2006 Pathfinder LE, a 1997 Nissan Hardbody SE which I purchased new when I worked for Freehold Nissan in NJ, and a 1986 Sentra 2 dr. My family has also owned a number of Nissans during the time I worked for them. I started in 1985 at Washington's Auto Sales in Keyport, NJ, which was one of the oldest Nissan dealers in NJ at the time (1962), later to be bought out by Pine Belt Nissan, for whom I also worked, as well as Rt. 130 Nissan in Hightstown, NJ (which was also later bought out). I'm also a forum moderator at NissanForums.com (handle "smj999smj").
One thing that impressed me about Nissan when I worked for them is the way they took care of their customers. When vehicles had problems, they always addressed them. For example, the Voluntary Fuel Injector Campaign for the Z31 300ZX and U11 Maxima and the Customer Satisfaction Program for the 96-97 Pathfinders.
A lot of Pathfinder fans and owners were happy to see that Nissan went back to the full-framed Pathfinder in 2005. It looked good, performed well and appeared to be a much better progression of the Pathfinder model than the R50 was to the first generation "WD21" Pathfinders. The R51 design was good, but Nissan's execution of it, as well as the handling of its owners, has been poor. Poor electrical ground issues, bad serpentine belt tensioners, faulty fuel gauge sensors, squeeky hoods, unsettled handling (largely due to weak rear springs and not employing monotube shock absorbers for the rear suspension), failing driveshaft U-joints, weak rear hatch struts, secondary timing chain problems (my secondary timing chains and tensioner "feet" have been replaced twice) are just a few of the problems that are common on the R51 Pathfinder. That all aside, the worst of the problems and the biggest concern for the majority of the R51 (2005-2010) Pathfinder owners is the radiator's integral transmission cooler tube which has failed for hundreds (maybe thousands...because who knows how many have failed and not been reported to the NHTSA yet?) and have damaged their automatic transmission, a repair which seems to run in the $6500 to $7500 range if genuine Nissan parts are used. Sure, Nissan extended the warranty to 8 years/80000 miles for the radiator and subsequent damage, but a large number of those failures are after the 80,000 mile mark. So, Nissan adjusts the extended warranty (conveniently after losing a class action lawsuit in NY state) and puts a $2500 expense cap for 80000-90000 miles and $3000 for 90000-100000 miles. Really, Nissan? Sure, it may be cheaper than spending $7500 to replace the radiator and automatic transmission, but during these times, that's still a lot of money for people to have to spend all because Nissan won't do the right thing and voluntarily recall and replace the faulty Calsonic radiators. So, Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier owners of 2005-2010 models are left with these options: 1) do nothing a pray that their radiator won't fail, 2) replace the radiator (why Nissan radiators cost $550 while good aftermarket radiators can be had for $90-$150 is still beyond me!) or 3) perform what is being referred to as "the bypass," where owners are re-routing their transmission cooler lines so that it runs through the auxilary cooler only, instead of through the auxilary cooler and the radiator integral cooler. This, of course, can hold future performance issues as they are modifying the transmission's cooling system as designed by Nissan engineers. The question these owners (including myself) of one of Nissan's most expensive models ask is, "Where is our customer satisfaction campaign?" The way it feels is that Nissan no longer cares like it used to for it's customers. To me, it makes no sense that Nissan would rather have people bad-mounting their product on forums, writing petitions to the NHTSA and joining class action lawsuits (not to mention the loss of future customers) rather than simply replace the radiators in those affected vehicles. It's bad business! I see all the time people talking about their next purchase will not be another Nissan. Instead, they are looking into the Toyota Forerunner and Jeep Grand Cherokee and even the Dodge Durango. If for some reason Nissan is unaware of what's being said on the web (I can't see how Nissan could not know), I'll provide a few links below to show what I'm talking about.
As for me, I addressed the issue by purchasing an aftermarket radiator and new foam seals and replaced the radiator, myself. If Nissan wants to do something for me, they can reimburse me for the $150 in parts I spent to prevent the radiator cooler failure from happening to my vehicle and potentially ruining my automatic transmission. For me, it was cheap insurance and peace of mind. If Nissan wants to do the right thing for it's Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier owners, then they should develope a campaign and replace those radiators that have not been replaced with the updated Calsonic radiator, yet. Maybe in the process, they can maintain a few loyal customers of Nissan vehicles. It would be nice if Nissan addressed the secondary timing chain issues with a campaign, as well.
Sincerely,
Stephen M. Jones

Links to site's:

http://thenissanpath.com/viewforum.php? ... 68c9522522

http://ncconsumer.org/Nissan%20Frontier ... efect.html

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7140

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139

The above are just a few examples. There plenty of more threads on the forums of Xterra and Frontier owners. A simple Google-search of Nissan radiator problems will get you plenty more!
View Forum - Nissan Transmission FAIL
thenissanpath.com
The Nissan Path : View Forum - Nissan Transmission FAIL : Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.
Last edited by smj999smj on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Well written and thank you.

Oly

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 pm

If only they listened!

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:19 am

on behalf of all Pathfinder owners, Thanks.

even if they dont listen now, once more and more complaints and emails pile in, they should reconsider.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 am

excellent, thank you! :)

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Nice. All we can do is still show them there are problems and maybe, just maybe, they might finally get the hint and do something about it.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 am

they lost me as a customer. i'll be looking at Honda for my next vehicle.

Kevykevhid

Postby Kevykevhid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 am

At least you tired. Hope the rep didn't just read it and stop there.

Be careful with honda/acura JB, Honda cars also some pilot and mdx models take the title for the worst transmissions ever manufactured in any vehicle (from 1998 to at least 2007). There are only few Honda Acura Models that are not known for Tranny issues.

They claimed to have fixed them but you already know how that goes. There are also engine problems in some of the models (08+ accords) for example

Sorry guys we're not in the 90's anymore, quality just isn't the same anymore.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:22 pm

UPDATE: Got a reply from another person at "Nissan Social" asking me if I was the registered owner, my mileage and if I took my concerns to a certified Nissan dealer. I replied with the info the requested. I'll update this post as, or "if," things develop. If anyone else with a bad taste in their mouth about Nissan's handling of the radiator issue or general unhappiness with the other problems (ie timing chains) that have plagued the R51, why not drop a post on their Facebook page or send them a message. A couple of dozen or more dissatisfied Pathfinder owners posting on their page might get their attention? Their page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/Nissan?fref=ts

gjacko77

Postby gjacko77 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Stephen:

Thank you for reaching out to Nissan and a well written article. I have been a long time lurker on this forum.

To give a quick history I am the second owner of my pathfinder. I purchased it preowned 3 years ago with 34k. I just graduated college and started my first real job. The pathfinder fit my active lifestyle of snow skiing and towing a boat. On a Friday I put down a deposit site unseen and decided to make the 350 mile drive from Cincinnati to Nashville. The trip was a memorable journey that I shared with my father. My pathy came with a 100k power train extended warranty. I experienced my first issue with the Pathfinder the day after my initial purchase. Somehow the Nissan techs in Nashville missed inspecting the brakes. I needed 4 new rotors and pads but luckily corporate Nissan immediately resolved the issue after I contacted them.

Currently I have 96k on her. Once I have yet to experience any major issues with my vehicle and completed the transmission bypass 2.5k ago. Yesterday i started to experience the "good old syrup" smell with the heat on. I immediately assumed blown head gasket and saw some fluid on the block. Today the dealership told me top of my radiator is cracked and needs to be replaced. They also told me both valve covers are leaking.

The dealership is charging $750 for a new radiator but my valve covers are covered under my extended warranty. I decided to have the dealership change the sparks plug while replacing the head gaskets too, another $105.

I am going to spend my Sunday replacing my radiator. Stephen any recommendations on a new radiator would be greatly appreciated.

I will also be reaching out to Nissan's Facebook account with my concerns about the transmission/ radiator issues. Nissan's subpar customer service response to the tranny, radiator and cat issues have left me questioning if I will be purchasing a Nissan in the future.

Grant

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:18 am

You have several choices for radiators. The updated genuine Nissan radiator MSRP's for around $550; you can get them online for around $450. Try 1stAAANissanParts.com if you want to go that route.
Griffin Radiators makes an all-aluminum radiator for around $550.
There are a number of options for aftermarket radiators. Many like the Canadian-made Sprectra Premium radiators. I purchased a Chinese-made 2-1/8" dual core radiator with a lifetime warranty from Parts Express on Ebay for $92 & free shipping. It fit perfectly and appeared well-built. It's been about a year since I put it in and no problems so far. I purchased new foam seals from Nissan.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 am

To update my communication with Nissan's Social rep, they told me they'd document my comments and advised me to contact Nissan's Customer Service Hotline and start a report if I wished. I figure that's about as far as it's going to go.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 am

Kevykevhid wrote: Be careful with honda/acura JB, Honda cars also some pilot and mdx models take the title for the worst transmissions ever manufactured in any vehicle (from 1998 to at least 2007). There are only few Honda Acura Models that are not known for Tranny issues.

They claimed to have fixed them but you already know how that goes. There are also engine problems in some of the models (08+ accords) for example
Sorry guys we're not in the 90's anymore, quality just isn't the same anymore.
i know about the transmission issues. it won't be a problem for me as i've been working for American Honda for about 11 plus years now and i have the hook up with the factory reps.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”