squeeling sound up front when accelerating.

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Farmer21

squeeling sound up front when accelerating.

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 am

Cant figure it out. When accelating I have a squeeling noise coming from the front at first I I thought it was a pully or the belt. Had them replaced. Still making noise. Couple of days later my fan. Unsure what fan it is I think its my coolant fan. Will not turn off. From start up driving hours and turning off. I thought this was only my truck but the other day another pathfinder accelerated by me and I heard the same squeeling noise from it. The only other thing that I can think that it is. Is my coolant fan clutch. Not a mechanic so only going off what other people tell me when telling other people the same story. Can someone help thank u.[/list][/list]

ShipFixer

Re: squeeling sound up front when accelerating.

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Farmer21 wrote:Cant figure it out. When accelating I have a squeeling noise coming from the front at first I I thought it was a pully or the belt. Had them replaced. Still making noise. Couple of days later my fan. Unsure what fan it is I think its my coolant fan. Will not turn off. From start up driving hours and turning off. I thought this was only my truck but the other day another pathfinder accelerated by me and I heard the same squeeling noise from it. The only other thing that I can think that it is. Is my coolant fan clutch. Not a mechanic so only going off what other people tell me when telling other people the same story. Can someone help thank u.[/list][/list]
Have you listened to the videos of the timing chain tensioner noises yet?

The A/C compressor and alternator can also make warbling noises when they're starting to die...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: squeeling sound up front when accelerating.

Postby eieio » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Farmer21 wrote:Cant figure it out. When accelating I have a squeeling noise coming from the front at first I I thought it was a pully or the belt. Had them replaced. Still making noise. Couple of days later my fan. Unsure what fan it is I think its my coolant fan. Will not turn off. From start up driving hours and turning off. I thought this was only my truck but the other day another pathfinder accelerated by me and I heard the same squeeling noise from it. The only other thing that I can think that it is. Is my coolant fan clutch. Not a mechanic so only going off what other people tell me when telling other people the same story. Can someone help thank u.[/list][/list]
year?
mileage?

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 pm

05 se with 78000. No I have not seen video

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Farmer21 wrote:05 se with 78000. No I have not seen video
Search the forums or Youtube for a video of the dreaded timing chain tensioner failing on a Pathfinder, XTerra or Frontier. You should hear it. It happens when the polyurethane shoe on the tensioner gives up and the chain is running on metal. Sound is RPM dependent.

Basically the engine sounds like a big high pitched vacuum cleaner. It's very noticeable when one drives by with it...

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

ShipFixer wrote:
Search the forums or Youtube for a video of the dreaded timing chain tensioner failing on a Pathfinder, XTerra or Frontier. You should hear it. It happens when the polyurethane shoe on the tensioner gives up and the chain is running on metal. Sound is RPM dependent.

Basically the engine sounds like a big high pitched vacuum cleaner. It's very noticeable when one drives by with it...
Ok so searching around reading some stuff and looking at videos. It doesn't sound like my problem. Let me try and be more detailed. When I accelerate quickly. Once I hit about 2900 3000 rpm it sounds as if there is a loose pully or some "change" rattling up front it will continue even after I let off for 2 to 4 seconds. Now the truck does sound one huge fan when driving. But I truly believe its two different probs. I could be wrong pleas let me know if this might be something different. Or still the same

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm

In park free rev the truck. 4500 rpm or so. Does it sound like a faulty power steering pump. A kind of whine, not a squeal?

If so it is the secondary chain shoes. A costly repair when done properly.

Believe me, it needs to be fixed by a professional. I re did a job last week that an independent shop "attempted" to fix. Cost the guy twice. My bill was around $1400. First shop was $1100. So was it really worth him trying to save a few bucks?

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:20 pm

tlee_20 wrote:In park free rev the truck. 4500 rpm or so. Does it sound like a faulty power steering pump. A kind of whine, not a squeal?

Believe me, it needs to be fixed by a professional. I re did a job last week that an independent shop "attempted" to fix. Cost the guy twice. My bill was around $1400. First shop was $1100. So was it really worth him trying to save a few bucks?
Oh yeah after buying a new fuel pump and ball joints I don't want to be payin all that . Maybe I should use a different word then squeezing or winding. It's a very unusual sound. More like a rattle. Like a bearing or loose pully. It's gone into the shop twice and both times they said they fixed it... Wrong.

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm

I will try to record it tom morning and post

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Farmer21 wrote:
tlee_20 wrote:In park free rev the truck. 4500 rpm or so. Does it sound like a faulty power steering pump. A kind of whine, not a squeal?

Oh yeah after buying a new fuel pump and ball joints I don't want to be payin all that . Maybe I should use a different word then squeezing or winding. It's a very unusual sound. More like a rattle. Like a bearing or loose pully. It's gone into the shop twice and both times they said they fixed it... Wrong.
Wow. That really sucks

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Farmer21 wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:

Ok so searching around reading some stuff and looking at videos. It doesn't sound like my problem. Let me try and be more detailed. When I accelerate quickly. Once I hit about 2900 3000 rpm it sounds as if there is a loose pully or some "change" rattling up front it will continue even after I let off for 2 to 4 seconds. Now the truck does sound one huge fan when driving. But I truly believe its two different probs. I could be wrong pleas let me know if this might be something different. Or still the same
Ooohhhhhh. This is what I had at 2900 RPM and how I fixed it:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

But it was a rattle/harmonic vibration. A squealing noise is probably something else, but could be being driven by this cable vibrating. Took me forever to find, but I'm pretty sure based on the design that most if not all trucks will have this "issue" right at 2900 RPM.

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

http://youtu.be/WgQifz2I0qQ

I took a video and that's the sound I heard. And just great I think I'm hear the timing chain too. Hope its just nothing but will check tom morning let me know what u think or If ur having problems watching video

CDUB

Postby CDUB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

That to me sounds like your air intake. Mine did the same thing, check the middle tab on the intake box. The owner before me or his mechanic didn't seat the middle tab on the intake box correctly and it was bent allowing the whistle/high pitched suction to happen. I took a heat gun and molded it back to it's correct position and seated it properly. The sound has been gone ever since. Take a look and see if that's your problem.

CDUB

Postby CDUB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm

It could also be your intake manifold gasket, but if that was the case it would most likely do it at idle too. Get another person to sit the drivers seat and rev while you inspect for where the sound is coming from.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Farmer21 wrote:http://youtu.be/WgQifz2I0qQ

I took a video and that's the sound I heard. And just great I think I'm hear the timing chain too. Hope its just nothing but will check tom morning let me know what u think or If ur having problems watching video
I don't hear the timing chain noise, or it's not really obvious. And it's not the same as my dash rattle.

Hmmmm...

Return to “R51 General Chat”