Backup Camera for Trailer

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Storm Trooper

Postby Storm Trooper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 pm

I have a 2013 Pathfinder SL as a tow vehicle for a 2010 KZ Sportsmen trailer. I would like to add a backup camera to the trailer and integrate with the vehicle backup camera display so that when the trailer is connected and I backup, the trailer camera is engaged. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? Wireless cameras don't work very well and require additional mounted display devices. The video/sound input in the armrest only works when the vehicle is in park.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:25 am

i would recommend a good technician to do it for you.
the rear camera has an additional video input built-in which you can tap into to display on the screen.

the rear camera overrides any video input when you engage reverse.

just a clarification: you want to use the pathfinder camera for normal reverse, but when the trailer is added, you want the trailer camera to engage automatically on the screen?

Storm Trooper

Postby Storm Trooper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:27 am

mar1 your clarifications define my preferred implementation. I know I can't use the additional video input. I have discussed this with a number of technicians, but haven't found one willing to attempt it. One suggestion was to install a 12v video switch in the feed to the rear camera, but I haven't been able to find the feed wire.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

first of all you will need a sensor to know when the trailer is attached and when it isnt. it can be just an ordinary on/off switch.

you will also need a plug that you connect/disconnect whenever the trailer is used. thats just aesthetics and you shouldnt have an issue with that.

the sensor should be installed to a relay input control. the 2 display inputs of the relay will be the default camera and the trailer camera.

depending on the relay wiring, you can set one input as default on, and the second input will be triggered once the sensor receives a positive signal (once trailer is connected)

the output of the relay should be connected to the default reverse wire screen input. i.e. where the already existing camera is connected.

the 12V can be taken from anywhere. you should have a 12V power socket in the rear.

Storm Trooper

Postby Storm Trooper » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks mar1 for your input. I have purchased and installed a Yada wireless camera on the back of the trailer and the display in the cab - windshield mount just under the existing rear view mirror. So far the system has worked well. The camera has night vision and a range of 50 feet.

Return to “R52 Electrical”