This car is draining me!

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

This car is draining me!

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

Just venting here...

I had a 2001 VW Jetta Wagon that ran like a champ. Not counting maintenance items, the only major things that ever broke were the fuel pump, alternator, and a clutch -- around 250,000 miles. So, in an attempt to do the "smart" thing, I traded the Jetta for something "newer and more reliable" -- a certified, pre-owned 2008 Pathfinder LE V8.

With the Pathfinder, at 75,000 miles, I get a surprise every week. First it was bad hatch struts. Then the door gasket. Then it was the driver's heated seat not working. Then a bad power window switch (passenger window would roll all the way down and stay down). Then a bad hatch cinch motor. And now it's a bad fuel pump. It's like you have to dump $350 into this car every week to keep it functioning.

Then I take into account the other things like the rough ride, unrefined transmission, squeeks and rattles, climate control that can't hold temperature, rough idle, leather seat design from the 80s... and you have a car that seems to have been designed with the hopes that whoever buys this car will have really low standards.

Aside from the 4WD, my Jetta had all of the same features and they all worked the day I traded it in... with over 250,000 miles.

When I think about how well my Jetta held up, I feel stupid for buying the Pathfinder. If I had wanted this kind of PIA, I would have bought a Kia or a GM.

Sorry. End of rant.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Sounds like you did pretty well with the Jetta. Most from that era are pretty deep into the problems as well...I had an '00 Jetta TDI so I'm familiar. I got 200k miles without any major problems but it had lots of electrical gremlins along the way.

Not sure what to tell you...assuming you PF wasn't a flood vehicle or something it seems like it's got a lot of electrical gremlins and quite odd they hit so close together. Mine has held up pretty well although I'm not impressed with the potential radiator issue and my HVAC is also goofy as hell. But overall I really like the vehicle and if you need 4x4 and ability to tow it's pretty hard to beat as a daily driver. If I didn't need those features I would certainly would not be driving something like this though.

Return to “R51 General Chat”