Narrowest tire for 2012 Pathy?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

impulsepath

Narrowest tire for 2012 Pathy?

Postby impulsepath » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Here goes soemthing perhaps a tad crazy. Most people think bigger and wider when upgrading tires, but I am thinking how narrow can I go on my rims without impacting odo/speedo and clearance.
I have a 2012 Pathy S 4WD with 245/75/16. The intention is to improve mpgs. Perhaps the gain in mpg would be negligible? Has anybody done this?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

It's pretty hard to change the tire size and not change speedo unless you go to a different rim size. I never realized they only used 245's on the PF anyway...that's almost an inch more narrow than the 265-65-17" tires that come on SE models. I think the closest you could come is going to a 235-75-16 which would shave another 1/2" and only change odo/speedo by about 2%. You might gain .5mpg if you do a lot of highway driving.

impulsepath

Postby impulsepath » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:43 pm

Discount tire website claims I can go as narrow as 215 85 16 on my rims which would be over an inch narrower than stock 245 75 16. I read a post where going from a 265 wide tire to 285 cost a few mpg in fuel efficiency. I wonder if it works the same going the other way too?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Well you may be able to do that...but I personally wouldn't want to. That's an awfully narrow tire for a tall vehicle with this suspension and steering. 245 is a bit narrow in my book. I've never seen a tire impact mpg by "a few mpg" unless maybe going a couple inches wider and taller and going from a highway tread to a mud-terrain. And then it was more like 2mpg on a rather underpowered truck to begin with. I would say a 1mpg increase would be on the high-end. I certainly think the decrease will come quicker than an increase.

I guess if you need new tires anyway.....worst case you have a crappy handling (possibly unsafe) vehicle for the life of those tires. I don't think the cost/benefit is there if you're replacing good tires.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm with skinny2. Although, you might see an mpg gain just because you'll be driving slower on skates like that, they'll squeal around every corner and could be dangerous just when you need them most. I would guess different tires' harder/softer compounds have potential to make just as much difference on mpg as more/less width. Back off the throttle and you'll gain even more.

Trouble is, with a thirsty vehicle like ours, there's just not much getting away from it. My first 10K I've averaged about 17 mpg. Even if that was 18, a 6% gain, then at $3.20/gal it adds up to $105/year, so about $9/month, or one six pack of decent beer. I'll do lots of things for a six pack, but compromising the safety of my vehicle isn't one of them.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 am

Went down one size narrower on my daughter's 2003 Ford Escape (I know it's not a Nissan) which was still within the manufactures listed tire sizes for her car. She says the ride is much smoother and thinks she is getting a little better gas mileage. Of course the change could just be because the new tires are better made than the old tires.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 am

Calicajun wrote:thinks she is getting a little better gas mileage.
It's most probably the fact that the speedo/trip are no longer accurate. The smaller the tire from stock, the higher the mpg gain (according to the speedo/trip/odo), when in reality it isn't.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:40 am

I've been using this Tire Size Calculator for over 10 years now :lol:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Calicajun wrote:thinks she is getting a little better gas mileage.
It's most probably the fact that the speedo/trip are no longer accurate. The smaller the tire from stock, the higher the mpg gain (according to the speedo/trip/odo), when in reality it isn't.
The tires are the same height giving the same rotation, only not as wide. How wide a tire is will not effect the speedometer or tripometer, only making a tire taller or shorter would make a difference. Say change a car that came with 16" tires to 12" tires (don't laugh, I have seen that) would make a difference, in this example it would be a BIG difference.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 am

Calicajun wrote:
The tires are the same height giving the same rotation, only not as wide. How wide a tire is will not effect the speedometer or tripometer, only making a tire taller or shorter would make a difference. Say change a car that came with 16" tires to 12" tires (don't laugh, I have seen that) would make a difference, in this example it would be a BIG difference.
Oh, I'm following you. My point, which I didn't make very clear, is that a lot of the cars driving around on the roads today are giving false/inaccurate mpg readings because most vehicles' electronics and calibrations are based on one tire size only. Even if your new vehicle comes with tires of a certain size, that does not necessarily mean that the electronics are calibrated to that exact tire size, especially if other models/packages exist for that same vehicle that offer different tire sizes. I've driven a few rental cars that were not accurate, but couldn't for the life of me imagine those particular vehicles had other options available (tire sizes, etc) because, well, they suck so bad to begin with. I think it is a fully deceptive activity on the part of the mfrs.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:57 am

Steve,
I agree with you about the inaccurate readings, my PF is off by 3 miles per hour. I'm not sure if that is affecting the mileage reading, if it is then my gas mileage is better than I have been tracking (19.5 city, 22 hwy, except one trip to Las Vegas, NV got 26.2 but only 23.1 coming home).

Craig

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”