Ball joint question

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Farmer21

Ball joint question

Postby Farmer21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm

So I need to change my ball joints on 05 se. My question is I found uppers and lowers on rock auto for a good price. But I have a family member who works at car quest and I also asked him what his prices are. He stated that with the uppers he can only get the whole upper control arm with ball joint in it and it looks as if the upper has a cap and is sealed. My question is can the upper be changed without changing control arm. Or do I need to change the whole thing. Also would it be better to change the whole upper control arm being that he can get them for 60 bucks each?

05pathyse

Re: Ball joint question

Postby 05pathyse » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Farmer21 wrote:So I need to change my ball joints on 05 se. My question is I found uppers and lowers on rock auto for a good price. But I have a family member who works at car quest and I also asked him what his prices are. He stated that with the uppers he can only get the whole upper control arm with ball joint in it and it looks as if the upper has a cap and is sealed. My question is can the upper be changed without changing control arm. Or do I need to change the whole thing. Also would it be better to change the whole upper control arm being that he can get them for 60 bucks each?
I just replaced upper and lower ball joints on my 05 pathy and you can just replace the ball joint itself. I got them from my local Napa store. They press out and in just like the lower

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:58 am

Yes you can do it. However, what I have found is that the arms are not constructed as strongly as they could, and the chance of deforming them when removing the old balljoint and pressing in the new ball joint is pretty high.

Also, when you replace the whole arm, you get new bushings.

I've done it both ways on previous vehicles, and lean towards replacing the whole arm. Makes the job a snap too.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”