Performance Chips Feedback/Advice

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

parkingpuckguy

Performance Chips Feedback/Advice

Postby parkingpuckguy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Thinking about getting a Performance Chip/Tuner for my 2006 Pathfinder. I've seen these ones online http://www.carid.com/2006-nissan-pathfi ... nce-chips/.

These include:
SUPERCHIPS® - Cortex Programmer
SUPERCHIPS® - Flashpaq Tuner
BULLY DOG® - Triple Dog GT Tuner
HYPERTECH® - Max Energy Programmer
HYPERTECH® - Max Energy E-CON™ Programmer

I'd like to get some real world feedback on any of these used by Pathfinder owners. I'm mostly looking to increase fuel economy for my everyday driving (currently only getting just under 18mpg) but also have the ability to increase hp and torque when necessary.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Sorry I don't have any info on these chips, but I would like to know if they are worth it or not.

I do a lot of driving in the mountains and it seems like I need a gear 3.5. Would a chip give a big enough gain to be able to be able to stay in 4th climbing up the mountains?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

i love my bully dog. while with some people it might give you better mpg, mine is worse. i can't keep my foot out of it with the performance gains.

when i went from oem to +2 (?) tires which added 20lbs of rotational weight per tire, my ride was way lagged.

with the bully dog it made up for that loss, plus some. plus you have onboard code reader. actually threw a (bogus) code the other day....

i'd say get it off craigslist though. too much $$ to buy it new. just make sure the guy "uninstalled" it from within the bully dog, as it 'locks' to your vehicle until you do that.

i want to say i got mine for $250 off craigs. i'll have to go find my post about it.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:23 am

Looking for something that will help MPG on my 2012 PF, as for performance my PF has way more get up and go than I need. Yes, there are times when keeping my foot out of it is just too hard but most of the time I drive it very easy. 8) Fill up the tank last night, MPG was 19.7, that was 3/4 city and 1/4 freeway (had to make run to Fry's Electronics). :D

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 am

i remember when i used to get 18+mpg....then i put the intake on, then lift, then got the bully dog, then bigger tires on...now i'm around 13-14 city (mileage adjusted by 7% for increase in tire size, on board mileage says 12-13) and can usually get 16-17 hwy (@60-65).

the bully dog does have a 'gas saver' throttle profile if you want; the r51s (or at least 08+) are throttle by wire. so the bully dog makes it where the first 75% of pressing in your pedal actually only maxes you at like 40% throttle. it did help when i had stock tires, but once i got the larger bfgs it stopped helping. i found for me it would just make me literally keep it to the floor most of the time so i went back to stock throttle profile. there's an extreme and something else that are supposedly just for racing that really do put like 100% throttle with only like 25-50% depression of the pedal. it's crazy and i wouldn't recommend unless you like really jerky starts -all the time-.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

I don't plan on modifying my PF for off road driving, only reason we bought the PF was to tow a 2800lbs collapsible (under 4' tall) trailer. Though 95% of our driving will be just city and hwy trips about 24K miles a year. So gas MPG at todays prices is something I would like to save on as much as possible. Wonder if I could talk the wife into one of those battery 45MPG+ cars? The wife was the one who really wanted the PF first, one of her better choices. :lol:

2012Pathfinder_EB

Postby 2012Pathfinder_EB » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:31 pm

How was the Install on the Bully Dog?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 pm

2012Pathfinder_EB wrote:How was the Install on the Bully Dog?
pretty easy for me, but i also already had run power to under the 2nd row seating, so i just went from that up to under the dash and put a switch inbetween since my feed is constant power. although i've found having this constant power helps when switching profiles (since it requires turning the car off). there is a switch on the bully dog obd port connector that i think keeps power on, however it's kind of a pain to get to if you have it strapped under your dash.

Return to “R51 General Chat”