Bilstein 5100s

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

BattleWagon

Bilstein 5100s

Postby BattleWagon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 pm

ordered some 5100s for the front from Amazon $207 shipped.

part number 24-187053, listed for Frontiers and Xterras.

what part number are people using for the rear? I saw somewhere someone used the same from a Frontier but since those are solid axle trucks it wouldn't seem to translate. I was thinking the shock from the Armada might work but the valving is probably stiffer and it only lists them for the HDs which I believe are stiffer anyhow. I have the stock Ranchos in the back with Airlift bags, not as concerned about those as I am the front.

QUESTION: what notch are you guys running on the 5100s? I only want about an inch of lift. I figure I can pull the Rancho out and measure the height of the coil retainer but I wanted to know yalls experience.

Any advice on install? I did the 5100s on my old Tundra and a coil spacer on my old Tacoma myself, but I was thinking about taking it into a shop so I didn't have to play Russian roulette again with a McPhereson strut compressor in my garage.

These things are cute and tiny, I have 14" travel Bilsteins on my Landcruiser and they are bout twice the extended length these are.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Sorry no suggestions here just admiring. Let us know how they feel and if there were any alignment issues. Very nice, will get some soon.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 am

The install isn't hard. I just rented a spring compressor from the local parts store and used my bench vise to hold the strut while i removed the spring. The strut is easy to remove from the vehicle. The only thing you have to remove to get to it is the way bar end link.

Can't help you with the 5100 part #. I'm running the 4600 series.

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Local shop wanted $220 to install, I've done a couple Toyotas but I hate using the strut compressor. I saw a vid a while back about a dude getting it done without one on a Tacoma, looked safer and faster. I found it and copied his process for the Pathfinder.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vkVLBOnA ... kVLBOnAifc

Make sure to remove the ABS bracket off the back of the spindle, you can basically follow anyone else's write-up for strut replacement but take the nut off the top of the strut to relieve tension as you decompress the floor jack. He had to loosen his cam bolts, I didn't. But I did have to coax the bottom of the strut in about an inch with a pry bar before I could insert the bolt, not a big deal I did it by myself.

Took a out 3 hours total, could do it in two. One of the upper ball joints was tough to release. Definitely the way to go, ih8springcompressors.
Last edited by BattleWagon on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:20 pm

installed the 5100s on the 3rd notch, probably about 3/4" lift over the Off-Road's already leveled stance.

pics:
coil and strut, before I used the floor jack to compress the coil.

installed

[/img]

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

i'll have to find my original post, but i run those at the 1.5in mark (one under the max 2in mark i think?). i think i got about 1.25in out of it after it settled?

for the rears i'll have to look too. i swear i have the rear number somewhere. i went with the HD's, which i thought were also 5100 series?

when i installed mine, i ended up taking them to NTB to have them to do swap. i rented the spring compressors from the local auto shop, but i could not get the 'hooks' to fit inbetween the spring coils, so i couldn't get the spring to compress. however NTB only charged me $50 per strut assembly (coil and strut pack removed, it's easy - one large bolt at the bottom and 3 at the top IIRC) to swap out.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”